Sign in to follow this  
crazyaboutcoues

CB1's Sons NM Buck

Nice buck way to go. you are just adding to the long wait tell november for me.

Congratulations Cole!!

Cole sounds like a good name for a deer hunter. Looks like you are beginning to build a long rich legacy of taking beautiful animals like the one in the picture.

Way to be buddy!!!!

Mike

Guest Ernesto C

Oh yea like father like son.Congratulations!! beatifull buck.

God bless you more.

Great buck and great photo. Father-son moment of a lifetime.......many more to come I'm sure.....congratulations.

Mark

Great Buck!!

I go up there wood cutting and it seems like the deer are finally recovering. Did you see quite a few deer? That unit was almost entirely hunted out at one time. It is nice to see them coming back. AG

We saw six Coues bucks on Saturday, three of them were 100"+ bucks running together. We just couldn't get dialed in on them before they got out of range. I got to the top of the ridge over looking the saddle before Bob and Cole. Seems like Bobs desk job has taken it's tole he he :D Anyway I got to the top of the ridge and immediately saw one of the three bucks feeding at 100 yards straight down below us. I looked back for Cole and motioned him up. We tried to get Cole set up on a giant rock over looking the bucks. Unfortunatley I stepped on some twigs which alerted the buck. He flagged and started quickly walking away. Then the other two bucks came out just behind him. One of them had a non-typical antler on his left side. Cole tried to get comfortable for a shot but in the mean time the bucks kept moving away, 200 yards they stop for about 10 seconds, Cole asks me "which one do I shoot"? I told him IT DOESN'T MATTER. They started moving again and didn't ever stop for a good shot. Cole made a good decision by not taking the shot, he said all he could see was his "BUTT" :D After our hearts slowed down to about 130 bpm we started glassing the saddle looking for other opportunities. We glass up a small two point, and later that day we passed on a small 3 point. We headed back to camp where grampa G was waiting for us. We decided to leave that area alone and try to find a good Muley that evening.

About 4:00 we headed out to a good Mule deer area. We set up Grandpa G on a ridge with Bobs 15's and then went on our way. About an hour into our hike we glassed up a 150 class muley bedded down in the oak brush. we tried circling him but some how he gave us the slip.

Day two had us climbing the same ridge we did the morning before. We glassed the same saddle and found his buck sunning himself at 378 yards. I quickly scanned the area to see if those bigger bucks were around. NO DICE. So we set up Cole on the same huge boulder. The buck started moving to our left when Cole found him in the scope. Bob asks quietly " How far?" I told him "350". I was watching the whole thing through my 15s. BOOOM!! HE'S HIT, HE'S HIT. I followed him in the nocks until he bed down under a tree and expired. Awsome hunt!! Thanks Bob for letting me be a part of coles first buck.

THE END