I drew a tag for my first Coues hunt - early December, Unit 30A

From what I have read so far it seems like access is an issue in this unit, but I have been scouring the web for open roads to access some of the wilderness areas. I think I have some ideas but would definitely appreciate running them by someone familiar with the area.

I would like to find a spot that I could hike in a few miles and camp for multiple days.

Is it worth purchasing On-X for assistance in searching for public lands/access roads? I do not have any experience with this company due to the lack of public land in the Southeast.

Unfortunately I live in Georgia and will not be able to come out for a scouting trip. If in one has any tips that they don't mind sharing please shoot me a PM. Much appreciated!

Thanks!

Have you hunted public lands out west before?

If you hike in and camp you probably need to pack in all the water you need.

Have you looked at a BLM map for that part of the state?

You driving out?

I have had ranchers lock gates and mess up access last bunch years, if its a main BLM or FS road might be ok.

• Like 1

They have a free 7 day trial for Onxmaps that might see if you want to purchase it or not. They don't give you all the bells and whistles but it would let you know if you want to purchase a years subscription or not.

• Like 1

I use the heck out of OnXMaps right from my IPhone. Definitely worth having. Just keep your phone in Airplane mode it will last all day, if not longer. The desktop app will let you do some E-Scouting as well. Lots of discount codes on the internet for 20% off. Try Randy Newberg's website.

Looks like a good amount of private land in 30A too. Never hunted it though.

Good luck!

• Like 1

We use the heck out of our OnXmaps its a great tool, if you can swing it defiantly worth its weight and gold. Make sure you have a good pair of binos and a good tripod should be a good hunt

• Like 1

Game Planner Maps map viewer is free and can show you where the roads, trails,and public land are. They can make you a map for that unit too.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Thanks for all the replies!

This will be my first hunting trip out west. Going with a buddy and we are both pretty experienced at camping, but the vast majority of this has been done in the southeast where water is not an issue. This is one of my main concerns (besides access)... My idea is to carry as much as possible, over two gallons each - and have a large reservoir left at the truck. Worst case, we will have to hike back to the truck mid-hunt to restock on water.

We will be flying out and renting a car. I would prefer to drive, but with only being able to get away from work for a finite amount of time we decided that by flying we will be able to get the most out of the hunt.

Just downloaded the ON-X trial package and it seems pretty helpful in locating public access. I think it will be worth the full purchase.

I do not have a Garmin, was hoping to get by with an iPhone and my Delorme for emergencies. I was also planning on ordering a topo unit map from 'mytopo'. Does anyone have experience with these maps? Is this a good choice for a hard map, or are there better options available.

Once I have a game plan laid out with option A, B, & C, I plan on reaching out to the local game and fish office to go over access to these area. I have read a few horror stories of gates being locked and hunt plans being ruined in this unit, as mention above by AZAV8ER.

I have been doing gear prep since January and have already got a tripod, head, spotting scope, and updated my binoculars.

It looks like weather averages are between 33 and 65 degrees in the Chiricahua Mountains. Does this seem about right to those of y'all who are familiar with the area? Planning on brining two sets of wool base layers, hiking pants, 1/4 zip top mid layer, and a puffy.

• Like 1

Plan on posible bitter cold in the AM, high 20's to low 30 then T shirt mid day. It could rain and in all my years (50 yrs) got snowed on once. Windy possible. Or just 40's at night and high 70's in the day. I am not much on heavy gear and like to hike in a ways then glass and move glass and move several times in a day. Light tripod and 10X40 ZEISS for me. Glass draws and slopes. I have several deer pop out of draws or brush just 50-60 yards below me as I am glassing. Hills sides you glass for an hour or so will all of a sudden produce deer out of the blue. They might have just left their beds or come over ridge or simply moved out of a thicket. Thats why I pass on a spotting scope, just figure the deer I miss just downslope is more important to spot that the one 1500 yards away. I have hunted in the Rockies at 8000/11000 feet and found it easier hiking in general that hiking 6000 FT in the AZ chasing Coues. Good boots that you can stand to hike in all day over hard rocky ground a big must.

• Like 1

Plan on posible bitter cold in the AM, high 20's to low 30 then T shirt mid day. It could rain and in all my years (50 yrs) got snowed on once. Windy possible. Or just 40's at night and high 70's in the day. I am not much on heavy gear and like to hike in a ways then glass and move glass and move several times in a day. Light tripod and 10X40 ZEISS for me. Glass draws and slopes. I have several deer pop out of draws or brush just 50-60 yards below me as I am glassing. Hills sides you glass for an hour or so will all of a sudden produce deer out of the blue. They might have just left their beds or come over ridge or simply moved out of a thicket. Thats why I pass on a spotting scope, just figure the deer I miss just downslope is more important to spot that the one 1500 yards away. I have hunted in the Rockies at 8000/11000 feet and found it easier hiking in general that hiking 6000 FT in the AZ chasing Coues. Good boots that you can stand to hike in all day over hard rocky ground a big must.

Really appreciate the advice. I'm itching to get out there and explore that country, those pictures look awesome.

• Like 1

Another thing that is nice about the OnXmaps is you can download the whole unit so you have access to it and anything you have saved Being off line. One thing we bought last year was a Anker battery pack the one I got will recharge my phone about 6 times. If your going to try and backpack hunt, Depending on the time you have I would to a base camp then map out a few areas and hike/hunt there then return to camp and head to the other spots if needed. Your glasses will be doing a lot of the walking for you, find High points and saddles and glass glass glass. I haven't made it to the unit in years but if there's anything I can do to help ya find some country feel free to PM me.

• Like 1