MMACFIVE

6.5-06 head stamped brass

MMACFIVE, I do agree that it is not worth the gamble. Border Patrol on this side is just about as erratic with their "one says this, the other says that" policies. Patience is the word of the day when crossing, whichever way you are going!

The Mexican Federal Police are the ones you really gotta watch for south of Douglas or Naco. It's really unnerving trying to communicate with them. They don't speak any English and usually have 5 to 6 sixteen year olds with FN-FAL's just hoping they get to use one while you try to get by. I payed up $60 Morditha for one single 22 rimfire cartridge accidently left in the bed of my truck one time down there. Get everything perfect and spotless when dealing with firearms down south, and make sure there nothing in your vehicle they might question. The best thing you can do is travel with a Mexican citizen that's affiliated with the Ranch your going to hunt. I don't go down anymore even though I used to hunt with a good friend who was a Mexican citizen who owned a ranch.

Dan

You can get custom stamped brass from starline but I don't know what they require for a minimum order.

I praise the Lord because on my 23 years taking hunters down there and helping outfitters from both sides of the border I have never had any issues. If you guys do your home work you'll be fine.

On the stamped barrel and brass...How many times we go over the speed limit and don't get a ticket? It only takes one time...like I said before "if" they check your ammo versus the gun, it better match.

Ernesto Cibrian.

Yes some do speak more than they let on, but you can't ever tell and I do understand and speak some Spanish and quit a bit of Spanglish. Not only have I hunted down there but used to travel and work in all of the Mexican Mines doing Field Service Engineering and consulting. In a nutshell I'm just saying be very careful down there because they will through you in one of their jails down there and then your up a creek with out a paddle. There legal system down there is backwards no phone calls ...ect. prove your innocent, not be proven guilty. And their jails really suck.

I'm not saying stay out of Mexico, it's a really neat place with a lot of really great people. I still love to fly to Cabo and do some fishing. Just remember to have all you ducks in a row so to speak.

Dan

" The best thing you can do is travel with a Mexican citizen that's affiliated with the Ranch your going to hunt."

The outfitter now needs to meet you at the border and accompany you to the ranch is what we were told when we went down last January. I guess it was always a rule but is now being enforced.

It's good to see threads like this to help folks understand all the laws. As many have pointed out here, it would only take something really minor to ruin your hunt, or worse. So having knowledge of the law and following it to the letter can be the difference between a great hunt and a terrible one. Great job to all the folks contributing here.

Ahh the beauty the glory of camping and hunting in the Coronado National Forest. Good hunting, no guides to pay, real honest hunting and grilling steaks over mesquite or oak coals. Relaxed enjoyable and no border federales.

Yes the joys of the good old USA, just can't beat it....

Well, let me take advantage that we got off topic here :) But nothing beats hunting in Old Mexico and in the USA.!! :) why not do both? There is mesquite wood  on both sides and nothing beats eatin some fresh venison stake/backstraps by the camp fire with real mesquite wood and having 30,000 acres just for your self! Aaahhhh LOVE IT!  Hunt here and then hunt there, double the pleasure.

cueva colorada back strap.jpg

Cueva Colorada back strap3.jpg

449.jpg

I have been going in and out of Mexico for 30 plus years.  But I get cold chills thinking of the way things were routinely handled in the '80s.  Things are always changing. Now days I would not consider going without  someone who has current local knowledge and hopefully some real connections.  It is pretty simple, what are you going to do when the wheels come off?

1 hour ago, Ernesto C said:

Well, let me take advantage that we got off topic here :) But nothing beats hunting in Old Mexico and in the USA.!! :) why not do both? There is mesquite wood  on both sides and nothing beats eatin some fresh venison stake/backstraps by the camp fire with real mesquite wood and having 30,000 acres just for your self! Aaahhhh LOVE IT!  Hunt here and then hunt there, double the pleasure.

cueva colorada back strap.jpg

Cueva Colorada back strap3.jpg

That was a very different way to cook it, just a little salt and pepper. A most enjoyable trip, at least for me. Loved the solitude. Wheels can fall off anywhere if you travel enough. As Jack London said, The function of man is to live, not to exist.

• Like 1