Sneaker

BLM Proposes permanent road closures in western AZ

BLM in proposing 4 possible travel management plans for the areas surrounding Kingman. I attended a meeting tonight. Some of their options call for closures of over a thousand miles of different dirt roads. The units affected are 15a and 15b, 16a, 18a, 18b, and perhaps some others. Hualapais, Musics, Cerbats, and Blacks are the major mountain ranges. Here is the link that leads to all their info:

https://eplanning.blm.gov/epl-front-office/eplanning/planAndProjectSite.do?methodName=renderDefaultPlanOrProjectSite&projectId=89275&dctmId=0b0003e880fa3423#

Map you can leave comments on for roads you have specific information on:

https://eplanning.blm.gov/EPLCommentMap/?itemId=fdd39ecb6e17493ba78efc4e09cf2bc2

I wonder if cattle ranchers are still allowed to use the closed roads. And if so do guides working for the ranchers get exclusive access.

Road closures come first, then comes the report stating how little use the land gets, then the suggestion that those lands should be sold off to fund public education.

If they’re any where close to a town, those hills are about to have hoa housing developments all over them, not cattle. 

4 hours ago, mattys281 said:

Road closures come first, then comes the report stating how little use the land gets, then the suggestion that those lands should be sold off to fund public education.

If they’re any where close to a town, those hills are about to have hoa housing developments all over them, not cattle. 

They’ll sell off BLM land like they do state trust? 

1 hour ago, muledeerarea33? said:

They’ll sell off BLM land like they do state trust? 

I was thinking state trust land when I wrote that.  If it’s federal land, I think it’s safe.  Never heard of the feds selling dirt, but who knows when there’s money to be made.

• Like 1

Travel Management didn't work around Flagstaff, and it's stupidity at a high level. They've had more complaints about it than anything. Who"s going to open a map at every intersection. You need roads to stop wildfires and to have access for recreation. It seems to be a little bit of a control issue.

This is the battle offroaders and others have been facing in 20B and other area's north of Phoenix for years now.

They basically propose to close tons of roads and make people argue with them and raise support to show they should leave some of them open.

It sucks. If you use these roads you better band together with whatever local groups are willing to fight with you to keep stuff open. The problem with the TMP's that were proposed near Table Mesa Rd & Bumble Bee were that the sides wouldn't stand together. They were in fighting because they didn't want the others to have access because they didn't like offroaders, or shooters, etc.

Get hunters, equestrian, dirt bikers, offroaders, shooters, etc to all stand with each other to help keep things open.

22 hours ago, Explorer said:

I wonder if cattle ranchers are still allowed to use the closed roads. And if so do guides working for the ranchers get exclusive access.

I would hope ranchers right of ways are protected but after the Bundy fiasco, nothing surprises me.

I have a mineral lease on BLM in 20C and there are laws on the books going back 135 years that prohibits the Govt from denying me access to that lease.

22 hours ago, Explorer said:

First I'd like to refer you to the Lode mining law of 1866, codified in the General mining law of 1872 in which a right to ingress and egress to mineral deposits is granted to all US citizens.

This right has been reaffirmed multiple times in state and federal courts up to and including the US Supreme Court.

Second, I'd like to refer you to a portion of the law that gave the BLM it's authority as administrator of public lands but limits it's ability to control travel; specifically 43 U.S. Code § 1732 - Management of use, occupancy, and development of public lands

"Except as provided in section 1744, section 1782, and subsection (f) of section 1781 of this title and in the last sentence of this paragraph, no provision of this section or any other section of this Act shall in any way amend the Mining Law of 1872 or impair the rights of any locators or claims under that Act, including, but not limited to, rights of ingress and egress"

Third, is what's commonly referred to as RS2477, part of the Mining act of 1866, stating "The right of way for the construction of highways over public lands, not reserved for public uses, is hereby granted" Although this section was repealed by the FLPMA of 1976, any public right of was existing at the time was again protected. “Nothing in this Act or any amendment made by this Act, shall be construed as terminating any valid right-of-way or other land use right or authorization existing on the date of approval of this Act.”

Finally, I'd like to direct you to Arizona's HB 2175, signed into law by Governor Ducey last year. HB 2175 confirms and asserts Arizona's right to control all rights of way existing prior to the passing of the FLPMA act of 1976.

Simply put; hunters, prospectors and outdoor enthusiasts should all have garunteed and equal access to our public lands.

But certain previous executive administration's agendas that put these travel ban plans into place, often need reminding of who the government works for.