davehc130

trail cams...NOT FAIR CHASE

the deer dont just stand by the cam. just because someone gets a pic doesnt mean its an easy kill. mostly people put cams where they already knew the hunting was reasonably good anyway

• Like 1

Cameras at water holes show people where the deer were.  I guess looking at tracks on the ground is just fake news.  The only thing cams tell me that tracks don't is what the headbone looks like.   

Good glass is more of an advantage to actually killing an animal than cameras are.  Cameras may tell me a deer was at a certain spot at some duration in the past.  Glassing shows you where they are at right now.  Until arrows or bullets can move through time, advantage real time.

I've witnessed on two separate incidents, people using their ATVs tactically to kill deer with their bows.  A few years ago, I was camping above the Yolo ranch on archery deer opening day.  I got to sit in my camp and watch people hunt.  What I saw was hunters riding ATVs with their bows.  No problemo.  They spot a buck, so they drive into some cover.   One shuts his ATV down and gets off with his bow.  The other hunter drives ahead aways then stops leaving his ATV running.  The hunter on foot takes advantage of fact that deers attention was on the other ATV rider.  The sound of ATV provides sound masking for the hunter making his stalk.  It worked.  It was a scenario that played out in front of me twice in one day.  Clever, I'd agree.  Fair chase?  hmmm

How about, before Azgfd, makes more laws, how about they enforce those already in place.  Like No Camping within !/4 mile of water holes.  Saw multiple violations in unit 8 today.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, MT_Sourdough said:

Cameras at water holes show people where the deer were.  I guess looking at tracks on the ground is just fake news.  The only thing cams tell me that tracks don't is what the headbone looks like.   

Good glass is more of an advantage to actually killing an animal than cameras are.  Cameras may tell me a deer was at a certain spot at some duration in the past.  Glassing shows you where they are at right now.  Until arrows or bullets can move through time, advantage real time.

I've witnessed on two separate incidents, people using their ATVs tactically to kill deer with their bows.  A few years ago, I was camping above the Yolo ranch on archery deer opening day.  I got to sit in my camp and watch people hunt.  What I saw was hunters riding ATVs with their bows.  No problemo.  They spot a buck, so they drive into some cover.   One shuts his ATV down and gets off with his bow.  The other hunter drives ahead aways then stops leaving his ATV running.  The hunter on foot takes advantage of fact that deers attention was on the other ATV rider.  The sound of ATV provides sound masking for the hunter making his stalk.  It worked.  It was a scenario that played out in front of me twice in one day.  Clever, I'd agree.  Fair chase?  hmmm

How about, before Azgfd, makes more laws, how about they enforce those already in place.  Like No Camping within !/4 mile of water holes.  Saw multiple violations in unit 8 today.

Well they can do both.  Pass good laws and enforce current law.  It is not either or....

I am not the one conflating two separate issues.  Game cameras and selling gps locations are two different things.  

While I agree with you about selling coordinates.  I think it should be illegal.  The problem is, it is only marginally different than what outfitters/guides do.  How to enforce selling that kind of information becomes fuzzy. 

2 hours ago, MT_Sourdough said:

I am not the one conflating two separate issues.  Game cameras and selling gps locations are two different things.  

While I agree with you about selling coordinates.  I think it should be illegal.  The problem is, it is only marginally different than what outfitters/guides do.  How to enforce selling that kind of information becomes fuzzy. 

Well guides provide a service to a few... one guide may have 4 clients and a guide while a gps location sellervsellers could send 1000 hunters into one area.   

• Like 1

20 hours ago, naturebob said:

Sorry AZBIG10..   Not as often. If there is a puddle a mile in the woods why would they come clear to the tank. Doesn't make sense. You can sit the water hole I will sit the puddle.  Sure there is allways a couple dumb robotic animals that will still come to the tank out of habit and they are the rag horns  that get killed.(have at them). And maybee right now they will as they eat along the way. But in hunting season things change.. I been hunting over 50 years, Not saying I know it all . If You happen to be old and alot of experience ,MY bad. Maybee You know something I don't. If You are Young not alot of exp. then hopefully You just learned a lesson. I am not here to bad mouth anyone on purpose.. AT 62 I still learn stuff all the time...GOOD LUCK. HUNTING..............BOB!............PS I have an idea ,Lets get some opinions on this. THANKS      ..BOB!

I agree, my last elk was killed on a fresh water puddle 1/2 mile down stream from a tank. If cattle are around polluting water holes game animals will look for cleaner water first. 

4 hours ago, davehc130 said:

https://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/hunting-gear/2010/05/bestul-montanas-trail-cam-ban-goes-too-far

montana banned cameras.  Good step.  AZ should follow suit!

This was in 2010. You may want to check the regs since they are legal outside of hunting season.

6 minutes ago, coues32 said:

Why isn't flying legal, at least animals can see, and hear a plane....?

funny you should mention this...there was a guy paragliding where I was scouting.....all the elk watched him as he flew by....dont think you are allowed to hunt the same day you fly an area...

On 8/23/2018 at 11:20 AM, DesertBull said:

How will you feel if he just legally takes his ladder or tree steps and you are left dangling 30 feet off the ground?

That is funny as crap. Never thought about that before. the best part is its his property and he can legal do it. Might be fun to set a bunch of tree stands up then when there filled up start staking the ladders off.

I'm starting to lean your way on this davehc130.  A lot of guys on here were in favor of the non ban within a certain distance of a water source. They think that you're complaining, but I see where you're coming from.  I know hunting products get more technologically advanced pretty often, and I'm not a fan of stopping technology to hunting products. Trail cams just seem to do it though. Although the pictures are fun to look at, it leaves no secrets out there.  On one of my hunts I was talking to a guide that was guiding the unit. I told him about an ok bull that I had seen during my hunt and a certain characteristic about it's antler. He said oh yeah I have that bull on camera, and he told me right where I had seen that bull. It just seems a little weird when you can do that.

• Like 2

I hate to even comment becaue I have no real opinion about cameras, I could take them or leave them........but, There’s a diferance between your average joe with 2 or 3 vs your standard guild with 60.( not a made up number, that from the horses mouth, and just in one area.) 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, oz31p said:

I hate to even comment becaue I have no real opinion about cameras, I could take them or leave them........but, There’s a diferance between your average joe with 2 or 3 vs your standard guild with 60.( not a made up number, that from the horses mouth, and just in one area.) 

more like 100+

• Like 2