Sign in to follow this  
biglakejake

health alert for gentry

this past sunday i was only 2 minutes from the hospital when my tongue started swelling and cutting off my airways.  i walked in and had  a bed in 2 minutes.   1 minute after that i answered yes to taking my lisinopril bp meds and was immediately given orders for benedryl, epinephrine, adrenaline, another steroid and they posted an airway tech in the room and started thawing out plasma.  yea.  stayed conscious throughout and declined the airway even though could not swallow or talk and later things improved rapidly.  back to work in 3 hours.

anyway it appears that after 8 years on lisinopril  myself and others are facing life threatening toxic reactions to it.  thousands of cases all across the country for about 18-24 months now.  new bp meds prescribed now and told to never touch another lisinopril.  whoulda thunk it?

lee

ps this happened 16 months ago to a lesser degree and not one mention of any hint at a cause during and after that episode from docs.

• Wow! 1

Legal drug dealer here...common side effect with lisinopril and other ACE inhibitors, but I have heard of it happening all of a sudden like that when you’ve been on it for years. Losartan and other “sartans” are the closest alternative with less risk of that effect. Glad you got in and taken care of quickly.

• Like 1

On 9/7/2018 at 2:26 PM, Hunterjohnny said:

I have taken that forever, but will be asking about it now.  Thanks!

Lots of people take it forever with no problems at all. Just be aware of any funny tongue or throat feelings or swelling and get it checked quick. 

3 hours ago, bigorange said:

Lots of people take it forever with no problems at all. Just be aware of any funny tongue or throat feelings or swelling and get it checked quick. 

Good to know. I take Losartan and as a solo hunter I am frequently on foot a couple of miles from camp and have been deep into Sonora a few times and a day from civilization. Anything I can bring to counter act the affects?

• Like 2

On 9/7/2018 at 11:57 AM, biglakejake said:

this past sunday i was only 2 minutes from the hospital when my tongue started swelling and cutting off my airways.  i walked in and had  a bed in 2 minutes.   1 minute after that i answered yes to taking my lisinopril bp meds and was immediately given orders for benedryl, epinephrine, adrenaline, another steroid and they posted an airway tech in the room and started thawing out plasma.  yea.  stayed conscious throughout and declined the airway even though could not swallow or talk and later things improved rapidly.  back to work in 3 hours.

anyway it appears that after 8 years on lisinopril  myself and others are facing life threatening toxic reactions to it.  thousands of cases all across the country for about 18-24 months now.  new bp meds prescribed now and told to never touch another lisinopril.  whoulda thunk it?

lee

ps this happened 16 months ago to a lesser degree and not one mention of any hint at a cause during and after that episode from docs.

5 hours ago, bigorange said:

Legal drug dealer here...common side effect with lisinopril and other ACE inhibitors, but I have heard of it happening all of a sudden like that when you’ve been on it for years. Losartan and other “sartans” are the closest alternative with less risk of that effect. Glad you got in and taken care of quickly.

Thanks for the heads up I called my dad and asked him what he was on.Turns out he is on lisinopril. I let him know so he can talk to his doctor about this apparent problem. Thanks again

6 hours ago, PRDATR said:

Good to know. I take Losartan and as a solo hunter I am frequently on foot a couple of miles from camp and have been deep into Sonora a few times and a day from civilization. Anything I can bring to counter act the affects?

One of the advantages of losartan over lisinopril is that the risk of this side-effect is basically eliminated. I’d consider Benadryl for other kinds of reactions (allergy, bee sting, etc) and would help with this rare possibility. An epi-pen if you’re really worried about it but probably not necessary. 

• Like 1

i was on 40mg.  told to keep benedryl handy but sometimes can't swallow so doc told me to keep epi-pen handy for life.  don't get old boys-its bad fer yer health.

lee

“Birthdays are ghost bounty hunters that track you down to ask, "Que pasa, baby?”-jim harrison

On 9/9/2018 at 10:30 PM, bigorange said:

One of the advantages of losartan over lisinopril is that the risk of this side-effect is basically eliminated. I’d consider Benadryl for other kinds of reactions (allergy, bee sting, etc) and would help with this rare possibility. An epi-pen if you’re really worried about it but probably not necessary. 

Talked with my doctor yesterday and made this switch.  I've never experienced any bad effects other than that dry cough that comes with it.  But since I was concerned he switched it out.

On 9/7/2018 at 11:57 AM, biglakejake said:

lee

Interesting,  our son takes or  I should say did take lisinipril for the lat 20 years. he had heart surgery at 6 months and this was suppose to build his heart muscles.

last 2 years he has been drained, now granted he is very active especially for a kid with Down syndrom. last 6-7 years his throat always bothered him while eating mostly. 3 weeks ago he got a stomach bug at least we thought. no biggy puked up every 2 hours  about 9pm he quit puking. wife went take a shower and hit the bed. she heard him puking again. she came out and there was blood(black) everywhere. we ran him to the hospitol immediately at 2am. test after test they didnt have an answer. about 3 days later they decided the licinapril was the cause of extreamly low blood pressure which he always had. only explanation they have for the blood and sore throat was he had a small irritation in his espohigus (sp) . hospitol said no more licinapril ever. because its lowering his blood pressure.

we have  a  appointment for a throat/gi doc next week, there going to scope him which I hate to put him through but I think it need to be done..

by chance have you had hear burn alot when on it? our son gets heart burn alot.

Delw

10 hours ago, Hunterjohnny said:

Talked with my doctor yesterday and made this switch.  I've never experienced any bad effects other than that dry cough that comes with it.  But since I was concerned he switched it out.

Biggest advantages of losartan are avoiding the dry cough and the risk of swollen tongue/throat. Both are related to the same effect in the body. Lisinopril used to be cheaper and more research showing that it worked better...seems like losartan may be catching up.