Sign in to follow this  
CatfishKev

Dot sight vs scope

What do you guys prefer for an AR? I have a 3x9 power scope on the wife's right now, thinking about changing it. Strictly for fun or predator hunting.  NOT for home defense etc.

I went through a few scopes on my ar’s (10 and 15) for coyotes I used a shortbarrled ar15 with an eotech 5.12. With a 60g bullet I have the same point of aim for 25y-225y. No hold over just hold dead on

I have A red dot on a rifle that is not an AR, my problem with it is a scope gathers more light in low light conditions. Red dot does not. 

I have multiple ARs in several different calibers.  After many years and many scope changes most have low magnification scopes.  1x6, 2x7, and one 3x9 for "long range".  I have one with an eotech and a 3x magnifier.  Pretty much my go to coyote gun for the desert.  Covers just about every scenario. 

Definitely recommend the magnifier  on a flip up mount if you go red dot or holographic. 

I have an ACOG on an AR but I don't use it for predator hunting. If I did it would probably just be for fox. I much prefer my 22-250 and it has a 3x9 on it, they don't run off like they usually do with the 223.

Depends on the country your hunting. if your shots are going to be over 75 yards scope. if your going to be under and calling open sights on a Ar.

all my varmit rifles have scopes my yote guns that have scopes but only use them in very open areas, other wise its the ar or shotgun. with a scope you cant get on target fast enough for a yote in under 50 yards in the desert.  this year I am using a 30-30 with open sights just for fun.

been meaning to pick up a dot, just havent yet. from what I have seen of them and the friends That have them. it should work really  well. and no limit your speed. remember most yotes come in fast and unless you have open ground you rarely see them till they are on top of you. we hunt them alot with a bow, few years back I bought a recurve to try instead of my compound cause its basically instinctive shooting where I hunt unless I am sitting on a hill

but like I said it all depends the type of terrain you hunt in. on the bright side you cn alsoway take it off if it doent work in certain areas then put it back on in areas where you need it. just make sure you have decent mountss

Just like he said. Depends on terrain. Also your style. I don't like glassing and sitting long for coyote, so I like a quick light setup, were I do lots of 15-20 minute stands.  1-8x24 or 1-6 x24 powered scope for enough out to 3-400 yards if necessary but not likely. Most my shots are always quick and under 200 yards, Under a 100 easily the majority, where the lowest power comes in handy. Red dot on a shotgun would be good!!  

On ‎9‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 12:39 PM, Delw said:

Depends on the country your hunting. if your shots are going to be over 75 yards scope. if your going to be under and calling open sights on a Ar.

all my varmit rifles have scopes my yote guns that have scopes but only use them in very open areas, other wise its the ar or shotgun. with a scope you cant get on target fast enough for a yote in under 50 yards in the desert.  this year I am using a 30-30 with open sights just for fun.

been meaning to pick up a dot, just havent yet. from what I have seen of them and the friends That have them. it should work really  well. and no limit your speed. remember most yotes come in fast and unless you have open ground you rarely see them till they are on top of you. we hunt them alot with a bow, few years back I bought a recurve to try instead of my compound cause its basically instinctive shooting where I hunt unless I am sitting on a hill

but like I said it all depends the type of terrain you hunt in. on the bright side you cn alsoway take it off if it doent work in certain areas then put it back on in areas where you need it. just make sure you have decent mounts