Sign in to follow this  
Hoss50

Base layer question

I am trying to figure out what kind of base layer to invest in. I am mostly looking at merino wool, but trying to find things for a guy my size, and something that doesn't require a mortgage payment is difficult. 

I got super cold on a late cow hunt after sweating on a steep hike. I don't want to repeat that.

I am 6'4" and am currently about 320lbs. Ideally I am going to lose weight, but 270lbs is about where I need to get. I have big chest though so weight loss won't affect my clothes size much.

Ideas? Recommendations?

56 minutes ago, lancetkenyon said:

I have some you can borrow....

fat-guy-in-a-little-coat.png

• Like 2

I think the key to getting cold was the sweating on the uphill hike. I don’t hike into areas with base layers on. I’ll hike in with just a  T shirt on and no base layer under my pants.  I’ve even hiked in shirtless.  This is even if temps are in the 20’s. If I am hiking hard, the exercise keeps me plenty warm.  When I get to a glassing spot, I’ll let myself cool down and stop sweating completely. I then strip down, add base layers and glass.  If I move to another glassing spot and know I’ll be hiking hard and sweating again, I strip down again. I do a lot of my hunting in Wyoming where the wind is brutal.  Sweaty clothes and wind with a little chill is no good.  I am not sure there is a base layer made that will keep you warm once you’ve sweated in it and stop moving. 

Keep an eye on camofire. The deals they have are often really small and really big sizes. They've been having  black ovis merino a lot. Not sure the sizes.  

• Like 1

I learned my lesson about hiking with too many layers. I am.just trying to find something that is better then normal cotton base layers that will help keep me warm with less clothes on, breath better, and dry faster.

The black ovis merino is good stuff. I prefer it over my kuiu merino tops, actually. 

• Like 1

I too have been really impressed with the Black Ovis Merino.  Seems to keep me warm when I need it to, but also keep me cool in the heat.  

Everyone has put in good ideas.  When I hike long, Im in a t shirt (merino or synthetic) and hunting pants.  I have used variety of merino (minus 33) upper/lowers in a variety of weights, but now since Kuiu has zip bottoms, I use their merino, kenai or peloton bottoms.  If glassing long, I put on layers and if windy I put a rain jacket over my puffy.  Kuiu I wear 3xl.   I like Arcteryx puffys, but get them on sale.  Other places for variety of products, Camofire, Sierra Trading Post, Eddie Bauer, LLBean, Minus33, I have been buying Exofficio shirts and boxers under their Give-N-Go line, you can find sales too.

I will wear a vest most times, as my chest gets cold, Whereas my legs, I can go longer before they get cold.  Just dont wear cotton.

First Lite and Kuiu are going to be small fitting. They make clothes athletic cut for the most part.