Sign in to follow this  
MT_Sourdough

Is Fed bison purge/hunt on park still happening this month?

I haven't heard anything in some time about the planned Fed volunteer hunt for bison on the Park after the North Rim Part closes for the year.  I have the late rifle hunt on Nov 2 and I still not sure what to expect, because if hunters are pushing bison around in the park, it could mean the proverbial kimche hitting the fan.  To this point, I am told to plan for a hunt sitting blinds on water holes.  On the other hand, if there are hunters pushing the bison on the park, does that mean that the critters will be pushed off park and scattering them across the the Plateau and possibly send them to the House Rock reserve?

1 hour ago, bonecollector said:

Last i have heard is they are building traps to catch the bison to relocate them.

Seriously?  The state guys said they questioned whether or not the park hunt would ever happen.  Suppose they knew what they were talking about.  

I am guessing that means things should go as it usually does up there during my hunt.  

Are they going to move them to Native American Reservations or where?

Thanks for the answer.

I heard the same.  They are baiting them into a corral and loaded them up alive.  Where they end up is anybody's guess.  These bison have cattle DNA so not sure what good they would be to re-establish a herd.  One thing that is plainly obvious is the Park did not want to have hunters kill them.  

On 10/14/2018 at 8:19 AM, Heat said:

I heard the same.  They are baiting them into a corral and loaded them up alive.  Where they end up is anybody's guess.  These bison have cattle DNA so not sure what good they would be to re-establish a herd.  One thing that is plainly obvious is the Park did not want to have hunters kill them.  

So, is this something they have already started?  

You should contact Russ Jacoby.  He has a pulse on everything bison on the Kaibab.  Even if you are not hiring him Russ is a great source of information.

• Like 1

Well, I contacted Russ and he said it is true that they built a catchment/corral, but they haven't finished it yet.  They are not likely to get it done this season., at least as far as I understood.  That's where things are as far as live capture is concerned.  The corral is in an area void of bison at the moment.   I would guess, from the conversation. that live capture might be a ways off.  Plus, he said, whether they shoot or capture the bison, the numbers removed will not have an impact on the hunt any time soon.

He said the weather will be the biggest factor regarding the hunt.   Russ said that the park/plateau has already had a few 6 inch snowfalls and animals are moving back and forth towards winter range.

Another thing that I will pass along is that Russ would like to hear from people who are going to be cooperating with him on the hunt.  He asked for me to text him which hunt/tag I have.  He also asked for my phone number and email, because his wife has some information that she'll email.  They would like to start coordinating soon, so I suspect that they would want to hear from all those who will cooperate with him for the bison hunt,  If somebody wants a number to text him,  message me and I'll get you the number.

• Like 1

I don't understand how the Federal government can do this with bison owned by the State of Arizona? Wildlife is owned by states, regardless of whose land it is on. If an elk wanders onto my private land, I can't kill it because it doesn't belong to me. Likewise, the bison that wander onto the National Park don't belong to the Park Service. Why isn't the AZ Game and Fish filing a law suit to prevent this?!?!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, StickFlicker said:

I don't understand how the Federal government can do this with bison owned by the State of Arizona? Wildlife is owned by states, regardless of whose land it is on. If an elk wanders onto my private land, I can't kill it because it doesn't belong to me. Likewise, the bison that wander onto the National Park don't belong to the Park Service. Why isn't the AZ Game and Fish filing a law suit to prevent this?!?!

I may be mistaken but bison are not considered wildlife in the state of Arizona.  They are livestock owned by whatever entity owns the ground they are standing on.  Hence the reason you can sell bison meat from a buffalo killed on the kaibab or Raymond ranch, also the reason you can legally shoot one on bait in the Raymond ranch.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, yotebuster said:

I may be mistaken but bison are not considered wildlife in the state of Arizona.  They are livestock owned by whatever entity owns the ground they are standing on.  Hence the reason you can sell bison meat from a buffalo killed on the kaibab or Raymond ranch, also the reason you can legally shoot one on bait in the Raymond ranch.  

They are livestock just like Elizabeth Warren is native American.  They are recognized by Boone and Crocket as free range buffalo for the record book.

• Haha 2

For those who do not already know, the state is trying to start a whole new and separate herd in the House Rock Wilderness area.  Their effort is to create a herd of pure genetic and fully free range bison  that is not in any way connected to the Feds.