Sign in to follow this  
218buck

Hunting radios

Does anybody know of a place in town Where I could buy some good two way  radios thanks 

I just picked up a set of Midland X-Talker XT T75 radios at Cabelas. They seem to work pretty decent in the hills. I use them to communicate to a hunting partner with in-ear headsets and they do the job just fine.

I just went through this. I lost a Midland radio on my elk hunt. After research, I decided I wanted the Midland 1050...the only model with whisper mode. Seemed like it might be handy for hunting. I think that's the only difference between the 1050/1000 and the T75. It seems no retail store carries them so I ordered through Amazon for $70. Got them in a few days.

https://www.amazon.com/Midland-GXT1050VP4-Channel-Two-Way-Waterproof/dp/B001WM73P0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1539663628&sr=8-2&keywords=midland+gxt1050 

If you are looking for black box style radios, not ham, check with Creative Communications on I 10/40th st.  Also, Aircomm is in Phoenix, HiTech Wireless in Glendale These radios are not like bubble packs,  there quality and you'll find them about 200 bucks each.  Many places will program them for you for free if you buy from them.  

• Like 2

High quality hand held radios can be programmed to operate on FRS/GMRS frequencies that the cheaper handheld's use. These frequencies  do not require a HAM licence. You can program many radios yourself with a free downloadable program called Chirp.

I picked up a few Baofeng 8 watt radios and installed Nagoya 701 antennas, both off of Amazon.  They have great range!  Totally programmable with the CHIRP program.  Anywhere I go, whether hunting or fishing, I'll set one up with all the local channels, marine channels, emergency channels, and weather channels.  Can even bounce off repeaters(with a license) and extend range virtually across the state.  Most of the standard handhelds like Midland are 5 watts max with crappy antennas and have preloaded/limited channels. Something to consider. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, WhtMtnHunter said:

I picked up a few Baofeng 8 watt radios and installed Nagoya 701 antennas, both off of Amazon.  They have great range!  Totally programmable with the CHIRP program.  Anywhere I go, whether hunting or fishing, I'll set one up with all the local channels, marine channels, emergency channels, and weather channels.  Can even bounce off repeaters(with a license) and extend range virtually across the state.  Most of the standard handhelds like Midland are 5 watts max with crappy antennas and have preloaded/limited channels. Something to consider. 

I was thinking about the Motorola CP 200   5 watt radios I wonder how these compare to  the radios you bought

58 minutes ago, Jacob...soaz said:

what model i have been thinking about getting some radios

Motorola  CP 200 

1 hour ago, Jacob...soaz said:

what model i have been thinking about getting some radios

The baofeng is not a bad little radio. A co-worker and I have ham licenses and talk through a repeater on our drive to work. He just got a new truck and has not installed his radio yet. He has been talking on his baofeng handheld and getting  good contact with the repeater from close to 25 miles. The audio is good. Obviously you're not going to get anywhere near 25 miles between two radios.

On 10/16/2018 at 8:02 PM, WhtMtnHunter said:

You need a license anytime using Amateur Band radios, not just for repeaters. Then again you are legally able to use ANY means of communications in an emergency. The Baofeng radios are a great value. It's no Yeasu but they do work.

I have a "Restricted Radiotelephone Operator Permit" does that count?

36 minutes ago, AZAV8ER said:

I have a "Restricted Radiotelephone Operator Permit" does that count?

Isn't that a maritime radio permit?