Sign in to follow this  
John O

A boy and a pig (updated)

After last years valiant effort for whitetail, we decided to give Javelina a try for my son. On our second day, he was able to take this little guy at 130 yards with his 270. First big game, and even though he was small, it was a trophy. My son just turned 11, and is now officially in the big leagues.

(Date is wrong in the photos)

post-1571-1202062445_thumb.jpg

post-1571-1202062511_thumb.jpg

Way to get r done! Congrats to your son. I really like the picture, it saids it all. :D

TJ

Congratulations. Javelina are the perfect animal for kids.

Good job little man. :D Good to see you taking your boy out and getting him involved. Great job to you both.

A boy's dad, and his pig-

After a lot of hard work on opening day HAM, I was blessed with this opportunity. The lesson learned for me was to never give up. I had literally done all I can, and physically gone as far as I could and turned around to head home. For some reason, I decided to take one last look across the canyon I was at, and that had acted as the physical barrier that told me that I was done. At that very moment, a Javelina wandered out from behind a boulder on the other side. I made my way to 50 yards, put on my muffs (last time I shot my 357 magnum without them, my ears hurt for two weeks), and made a great shot. Every hair on its body seemed to immediately stick straight up all at once. Just to make sure, one more shot, and it dropped where it was standing. I was relieved, exhausted, and thrilled, all at the same time. A little time to carve it up, and a 2.5 mile hike out with a 30 pound pack, that felt like 50. A day, and a lesson for me that I will always remember.

post-1571-1202620607_thumb.jpg

John,

Congrats on your pig. It happens that way sometimes, when you are headed back to the truck and there is just one more draw to cross/cover there is your game (waiting) !

Glad to hear both you & the boy filled your javy tags!

AzP&Y