gnoto

NEW RIFLE PURCHASE FOR NOV HUNT ADVIDE

I have decided I need a new firestick for the November hunt. I am a cheap bastard to put it lightly. I guess I have to spend a few bucks but I will do it grudgenly(not sure how the heck you spell that one). I have looked at everything.

I want a weapon that will cover Arizonas big game. Most of all I want something I can reach out and touch the Ghosts with! Thoughts and suggestion appreciated. I would love to just get an old model 99 Savage 300 but I am not sure it really gives me any range. I just love lever action. Grew up with a model 94 in my hand and have always liked the lever style.

.270 maybe .280 maybe

.300 Savage

.300 Winchester Mag?

Lets hear it and fast I gotta find the stick mount a sight and find a target.

.243 is a little light for the elk hunts. Everything else will do the job. You can find ammo or load your own up and down depending on the animal your hunting. The mags seem to kick like a mule unless you use muzzle brakes, even though, I don't find them much fun when shooting at the range. I have taken coues with .243, .270 and 30-06. and I like em all. My current favorite for the last 10 years or so has been the .270 Remington 700 bdl. leupold vari xIII scope., but I think I am going to use the ruger 30-06 this year. Any of the calibers will work for the game in Arizona. Good luck on you choices, it's like being a little kid in the candy store.

trufletch

If you are cheap, you can't afford a Savage Model 99 in a flat shooting caliber--they run more than comparable bolt actions. If you really want a 99, I would suggest looking at one of the internet sites such as gunsamerica.com and scroll through the Savage rifles for sale. The best would be a .284, but they are pretty scarce and tend to be pricey when you find one. Next best is a .308--with the Hornaday light magnum ammunition, they will shoot as flat as a .270 in the lighter bullet weights and the 180 gr. loads are more than adequate for elk.

This time of year there are some real bargains to be had at Wal-mart. A couple of years ago I picked up a Weatherby Vanguard in .300 Weatherby for right at $300. Since then I have replaced the Vanguard stock with a Rimrock, but the factory target that came with the rifle (with the original stock) was well under 1 inch for a three shot group at 100 yards. I used the rifle on my Colorado elk hunt this year and harvested a 6x6 bull using 180 grain Scirrocos. Worked like a charm!

I wish you luck--there are some bargains out there, but it takes some looking to fine them!

A 300 win mag will really reach out. I killed my first carp (and only) in 32 at 565 yards. Whatever you get, you better hurry!

Mark

I appreciate the info. I am cheap in the regard of I am not going to pay more then the best price available. As for spending in general I spend what I have too. I am sure I will spend what I have to to get a good used older Savage model 99 .300 as long as you all agree I am not giving up too much of one thing for another. no recoil concerns I can handle that. Range is key and I do not know what I should about longer range shooting. I will check Wal Mart tonight and have been checking the online sites regularly. As I am a little unfamilar with ranges as long as these. BAsed on Longest Range and compatability with larger game ELK! It sounds like a .300 is good or maybe a .270. I imagine but am not sure the 30.06 has far less range then the .300 or .270

Lastly the savage 99 .300 will take a mag round right?

gnoto,

No! I'm assuming you mean the .300 Savage, right? It will not "take a magnum round". Not even close! The .300 Savage has about half the powder capacity as the .300 Winchester Magnum. I personally think you couldn't go wrong with the 30-06, .280 Rem., .308 Win., or the .270 Win. Any of these will are effective for most any big game animal in North America. I love my .300 Win. Mag. but honestly, the recoil is hard to digest sometimes. I would wait to get a new gun until you've had time to learn more about the options available. I think you are pushing it trying to get a new one and get used to it by the November hunt.

Just my opinion though!

Kevin

the one thing that can compensate for "range" is shooting for a given zero then fire that weapon at that zero with the same bullet, start at 600 then 500 and so on even into 50 yds w/ a 200yd zero and know exactly what kind of performance your throwin out. if you understand the above, you can effectively take animals @600+ yds w/ a 6mm/243 type calibers, takes time and dedication especially when your dealin w/ coues size targets at long ranges. i'm sure plenty of you know this, but for those who dont maybe this will help. you dont need to have the big money guns to drive tacks, just practice and patience -mike-

i would go with the 300 MAG or the 30-06, i shoot 165 grain bullets out of my 30-06 that equal the 180's out of a 300 mag. i would never take a 300 savage hunting for anything besides coyotrs, my grandfather has to of them insavage 99 and i have read ballastics and they are not impressive at all.

I love my win .270. I don't see any need for a .300 win mag. Seems like overkill to me. I think if you know how your load shoots at different ranges, you can do fine with a .270. It's certainly big enough to kill any big game in AZ.

Hey, maybe you should think about borrowing a .270 or a .300 win mag from a friend for your hunt. Then you might get a better idea of what you want and wouldn't have to rush into a decision.

Amanda

I love the 270 win. so that is the first gun I will recomend, but all of the rounds that were mentioned will do the trick. I also recomend the short mags, from the 25 wsm up, flat shooting and low recoil.

I agree with Amanda. and others. If you know what the specific gun and lods will do, you WILL shoot better than rushing your aquaintance with a new gun and or load.

That said, 300 Win Mag is what I shoot cause it is the flattest trajectory available. Many choices in ammo is made, but NOT real common at every sporting goods store. 7mm Mag is close to the same trajectory, and I have found much wider variety of off the shelf ammo available at sporting goods stores.

Another .02 in the till.

Good luck

Couple years ago I helped a friend... he picked up a used M70 in 270 with a Simmons 2-8x scope on it for $350, then shot it almost every weekend from the time he found out he got a tag until the December hunt. He practiced from field positions all the way out to 500 yards. I got to watch him whack his first Coues at a laser measured 347 yards. It went about 10 yards before piling up. The sun was just right and watching through big glass I actually saw the bullet in flight. Pretty cool. The key here is that he was very familiar with the trajectory of his gun out to 500 yards... because I told him to be. He had burned up well over 100 rounds practicing.

That said, I shoot a 300 Win Mag and LOVE it. I've shot it at everything from coyotes to elk, and the outcome has never varied. As far as overkill... I guess I could accomplish the same result with a smaller caliber, but it's never killed anything too dead. Pretty much piles them up where they stand. As far as recoil, I've shot several rifles in 270 and 30-06 that were much less forgiving on the shoulder, despite kicking "less". I have one 180 grain load that I use in this rifle for everything, and it flat works like magic.

I think you'd be wise to shoot some rifles and decide what brand you like and which one fits you the best. Then pick a caliber, and practice with it for next year. You just flat don't have the time to get a new rifle ready to take into the field... at least I know I wouldn't have time at this point. I'd much rather be out with someone with a 243 that they were very familiar and comfortable with than someone with a brand new 300 mag... but that's just my $0.02 :(

I would lean towards a 300 or a 7MM. I think I would go for the 7MM. It seems to kick a little less than the 300's and really reaches out there. I'm more of a fan of the .243, 25-06 or .270 but I think you would be happier shooting an elk with a 7MM.

No matter what gun you choose you better hurry. You have a ton of work to do. Scope, ammo, range time, ect. You only have a few weeks left.

Later,

recurveman