CouesN4Abruisin

Ballistics Calculations???

I know this may be a little late but I switched from stelok to the shooter app. Shooter will give you a corrected velocity based on the corrections you have to make at different distances. 

• Like 1

+1 on range time turret validation.  The chrono, apps, website calculators are all helpful tools to get you very close.  I used the Ballistic app to get a baseline then shot 300, 400, 500, 600 yards to dial in and validate my elevation turret.  The app got me close, but my real world range time validation for my rifle, scope and weather conditions have me fine tuned.  Yes I reload.

6 hours ago, zackcarp said:

I know this may be a little late but I switched from stelok to the shooter app. Shooter will give you a corrected velocity based on the corrections you have to make at different distances. 

StrelokPro will also tell you what velocity to use based on your corrections. Do other apps have the reticle view that Strelok has? 

Shooter has temperature corrections for both powder sensitivity and air density.  As long as YOU input the info correctly.

56 minutes ago, AZAV8ER said:

StrelokPro will also tell you what velocity to use based on your corrections. Do other apps have the reticle view that Strelok has? 

I know shooter does not. I do miss that part. But I have found my ranges past 500 ish to be more correct for my 338 LM. Like Lance said, there is a ton of info you can put into it to help make the best adjustments.

28 minutes ago, zackcarp said:

I know shooter does not. I do miss that part. But I have found my ranges past 500 ish to be more correct for my 338 LM. Like Lance said, there is a ton of info you can put into it to help make the best adjustments.

You can most definitely true velocity on Shooter according to drops.

Screenshot_20181222-083853_Shooter_zpsuf

Screenshot_20181222-083859_Shooter_zpsfk

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Lazy-H98 said:

+1 on range time turret validation.  The chrono, apps, website calculators are all helpful tools to get you very close.  I used the Ballistic app to get a baseline then shot 300, 400, 500, 600 yards to dial in and validate my elevation turret.  The app got me close, but my real world range time validation for my rifle, scope and weather conditions have me fine tuned.  Yes I reload.

I couldn’t agree more.  Use apps to get starting place at the range then tweak app to match your real range drops.

Only thing you have to adjust is for elevation after that as far as drops go.  Most of my hunting is 4000-7500 ft and it’s only about 1/4 MOA adjustment 

6 hours ago, KoosCrazy said:

I couldn’t agree more.  Use apps to get starting place at the range then tweak app to match your real range drops.

Only thing you have to adjust is for elevation after that as far as drops go.  Most of my hunting is 4000-7500 ft and it’s only about 1/4 MOA adjustment 

I use a density altitude app and plug the resultant DA value into my ballistic app works nice. 

1 hour ago, 10Turkeys said:

I don't use a ballistic app. I use a piece of tape.

1222181907.jpg

You used some kind of "app" to generate numbers for the tape. Wether it was published paper tables or on line app that built you a table or something, that or you just have a mind for imagining the right drop chart.

• Like 1

Using a ballistic app, you will get one set of data that is "should hit", then using that data you should actually shoot and see what that data does then refine it til you get your "did hit"data. The markings on the tape is did hit.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

I use my thumb to judge the distance then  give it Kentucky windage based off that 

By the pic you posted of your Deer this year, your method seems to work. Do you lick your thumb  to get a wind reading and range it at the same time?

14 minutes ago, 10Turkeys said:

By the pic you posted of your Deer this year, your method seems to work. Do you lick your thumb  to get a wind reading and range it at the same time?

Thanks. Hit a little back but I was free handing from 550. Always lick it before you stick it