rossislider

Rangefinder Recommendations?

I'm looking to get my son a rangefinder for Christmas and would like some recommendations. I personally have a Leica 1600 B and love it, but I am not looking to spend that kind of money. Here are my "goals" in a rangefinder for him.

• $300 or less
  • Consistently range 800 yards on real targets. This is probably the tough one in this price range. Also, I could care less what number it says on the side of the rangefinder. I have used very few that could reliably range half of what the number on the rangefinder claims.
  • Angle compensation. He will use this for rifle as well as archery.

I have primarily been looking at Sig and Leupold. While I do like Vortex products, I was underwhelmed by their early rangefinders. Someone recommended the Leupold RX-1300i to me. Anyone have any experience with this model?

Thanks

1 hour ago, Coach said:

The Sig are, in my opinion, the best bang for the buck. 

Leica rules. The Sig is the best second choice. IMHO it has too much magnification and not enough eye relief for me.

• Like 2

I walked into sportsman's yesterday with the intention of buying either the sig, the Leica, or the new Nikon black 4k. I didn't like the leuopolds of old so I wasn't even considering them. After looking through the leuopold 1600i tbr after looking through everything else I fell in love with the leuopold. I didn't try the 1300. I may regret it when I get into the mtns but for bowhunting I have a feeling it's going to work great. 

• Like 1

Sean, I bought the Sig 1200 and will be testing it out today.  I will let you know what actual distances I get for a reference.  I already have the Leica 1600b but wanted one for my golf bag that was still useful.  So far I really like it plus it has a mode where you can set it to actual distance or horizontal distance.

• Like 1

We have the Athlon Midas 1200 yard rangefinder on sale for only $189.99, reduced from $349.99. It will range reflective targets to 1200 yards and game to 600 or so.

The Leica CRF 2400-R is on sale through tomorrow with an extra 10% off

Give us a call to discuss what would be best for you. Have a great day

Doug

516-217-1000

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AZbowhntr said:

Sean, I bought the Sig 1200 and will be testing it out today.  I will let you know what actual distances I get for a reference.  I already have the Leica 1600b but wanted one for my golf bag that was still useful.  So far I really like it plus it has a mode where you can set it to actual distance or horizontal distance.

Thanks! Please let me know what you think.