HBU

30-378 wby mag

Hi all, I'm looking for some opinions on the 30-378. I know know I like the round but I would like to know more about the rifle. I own a wby in 30-06 and it has always been a good shooter but I have heard that these 30-378s can be tempermental. Let me know what you think. Thanks.

I own a .270 Weatherby mag and it is very tempermental. It is very difficult to hand load for this rifle which I think has a lot to do with the free bore. For me, I'll stay away from Weatherbys in the future.

Don't get me wrong, I love the rifle and now that I've found a good load it shoots very well. It just took a lot of patience to get there.

I have had Great luck with the Weatherby's in the 300 Mag. Free bore is suppose to increase the accuracy but I don't know.... I don't think it hurts the accuracy, though. The 30-378 is suppose to be good, and really good down range.... but it is a lot-o-gun...... good luck.

CnS

The 30-378 is a awesome long range rifle.. Only negative I have heard about it is the price of ammo for store bought. As for as reloading I heard you the brass can not be reused to many times because of the necking ?

Thanks guys for the info, has anyone had any experience with the factory Accu-brake (muzzle brake)? Any good or bad thoughts?

Thanks guys for the info, has anyone had any experience with the factory Accu-brake (muzzle brake)? Any good or bad thoughts?

I used a .416 Weatherby Magnum with and without the brake in Zambia.

This rifle is a tooth-loosening, eyeball-popping, shoulder-buster and the brake definitely reduced its recoil, but the rearward muzzle blast was awful for anyone standing next to me.

My professional hunter asked me to remove it when we went after my lion.

Bill Quimby

As for as reloading I heard you the brass can not be reused to many times because of the necking ?
Because it's belted.

I've heard of good and bad from that caliber. The good was all from people who owned one. The bad was always "my buddy knew a guy that had one and he couldn't get it to group, and his barrel was toast in 500 shots..." A guy i know who only shoots factory stuff through his loves it and is very accurate with it. He shoots 1000 yards all the time (at rocks and such). He did have a couple clients a few years back kill elk at 800 with his. 3 shots, 3 hits, 2 dead elk. As far as the brake, Weatherby sure is proud of theirs, but everybody's brake is better than the next according to them. All i know is you'll need it. Although i have heard of guides going as far as refusing to hunt with guys who had one on. I've never had that issue, thankfully.

I own a 30-378 topped with a nightforce scope.

I had many issues and time consuming pains to come up with a load that my rifle liked to shoot (both powder & bullet).

Once that was accomplished I am able to get the speed I like and a group of about 2 1/2 inches at 700 yards.

I love that rifle and the muzzle brake is exceptional in terms of reducing any kick. To me it feels like I am shooting a .243.

I learned by stupidity, you never want to shoot it without ear protection unless you have no need of your sense of hearing.

In most all cases I am unable to re-use the cases due to the pressures from my loads. The rifle is absolutely amazing when shooting long distances with its speed & accuracy. That rifle requires a solid rest, and is not the type of rifle you can just pop up to your shoulder and snap an accurate shot off. Its extremely heavy and can really weigh you down if you have to hike into an area a few miles. Again the muzzle brake is very effective, and I wouldn't shoot without it unless I had to. the blast out of the brake will pulverize a thick phone book due to the extreme pressures coming out of it.

As was already mentioned, either by purchasing over the counter or loading your own, the cost is almost twice as high as a standard caliber. Fo me, I will live with it until I burn out the barrel and it will be tough to find something that shoots as well as it does. The weight of it is my biggest issue.

I bought a weatherby accumark in 30-378 last year. I topped it off with a Leupold VX-III 6.5-20 LR. I have a load shooting 200 gr bullets into .3" at 100 yards moving at 3200 fps. I am still able to reuse by brass. The brake is excellent, I can tell you that my weatherby kicks much much less than my Tikka in 300 win. Infact, my 16 year old used it last year to take the bull of a life time.

It costs me $3.30 per round to reload compared to over $5 per round for store bought. Folks will tell you that is a crazy price to pay for ammo. Personally, when you look at the bigger picture, money spent on tags (not to mention how long you can go between getting drawn), time and $$$ on gas for scouting, taxidermy work etc.etc. etc. I don't see it as a huge deal.

My son took this bull last year from 637 yards.

i saw a cartoon about an old guy telling some new members of the hunting club about a lion hunt. the old guy said "i was sitting by a tree and lion jumped outta the brush and went "ROOAARR!!" and i just $@!# my pants". one of the young guys said, "i would $@# my pants too if a lion jumped outta the brush at me like that". the old guy said, "no, just now when i went ROOARR!, i $#!@ my pants". was your lion hunt like that bill? :lol: Lark.

I own a .30-.378 with a Leupold 4.5x-14x Boone and Crockett. The gun is not customized. I absolutely love the gun and can shoot with many heavyweight marksmen and hold my own. The accubrake works well, the ammo is expensive at almost $100 a box, but I won't sell or trade until I build something similar to a coues sniper rig in either .30 Hart or 300 RUM.

Best of luck!

I have a load shooting 200 gr bullets into .3" at 100 yards moving at 3200 fps.

It costs me $3.30 per round to reload compared to over $5 per round for store bought. Folks will tell you that is a crazy price to pay for ammo. Personally, when you look at the bigger picture, money spent on tags (not to mention how long you can go between getting drawn), time and $$$ on gas for scouting, taxidermy work etc.etc. etc. I don't see it as a huge deal.

Is the 3200fps at the muzzle? .3", that's exceptional. Why $3.30 if you're reusing brass? What bullets are you shooting?

I have the Accubrake on one of my 300 Wby's and an Answer Products Brake on the other.... Both are loud!! :blink: :lol: :lol: LOL!! But, the gun with the accubrake is not quite as accurate as the other (may have nothing to do with the brake) and the Accubrake rifle kicks harder, too. I prefir a streamline break that can be taken off for cleaning. Just my $.02 ...... :rolleyes:

CnS