Sign in to follow this  
ForkHorn

FAST .224's for Coues

What experience is out there with FAST (3400+) .224 caliber heavy ish (70 to 80gr) bullet performance on Coues?

I'm looking at building a 22 creedmoor, 22-250AI or 22-243AI twisted fast enough to run the heavier bullets. This would be a Coues only gun. 

The idea of a flat shooting, light recoiling, Lazer beam of a round intrigues the heck out of me.   Speed kills in my experience.

• Like 1

The 90 HVLD @ 3300 in a 1:7" would work too.  At 4000 AMSL, 59*F, still has 1000ft/lbs & 2240fps @ 720 yards.  715ft/lbs & 1893fps @ 1000 yards.

I have a buddy whose daughter has killed 3 mulie does with a .223 Rem shooting the 69 SMK @ 3000fps out to 230 yards.  So I think heavier and faster would whoop a Coues buck.

I think DSE has a .22-250 AI with a fast twist shooting heavies.....

• Like 1

I know some people that have been doing that the last few years with great success out to 600 or so. 

• Like 1

My first coues was with an 8" .22-250 Ackley and an 80 Berger at 3300. Bang flop at 500 yards or so....

Love the big 22's but that ship has sailed for me for a serious deer hunting rifle. 

• Like 1

We took one Coues buck at 600 yds with mine. Didn't take a step and shooter got to watch in the scope.

Rifle was a 22-250ai built on a Savage 11,  24" 1 in 7 twist barrel, 80 gr Berger vld, 41 gr. Rl-22, Nosler brass and fed 210 m primer.  Shot in the .2s and got 3420 fps. Also did a number on a coyote @ 980 yds.

• Like 1

Casey, the biggest why is because I have a model 7 action to build off of. As far as I know this concept is the best thing going in a short action/model 7.  The end goal is a lightweight gun.

Think mountain gun with no turrets, and the best maximum point blank range possible.  IE flat Lazer beam shooting.

It sounds very possible and pretty awesome based off what these guys are saying 

2 hours ago, Big or Bust said:

My first coues was with an 8" .22-250 Ackley and an 80 Berger at 3300. Bang flop at 500 yards or so....

Love the big 22's but that ship has sailed for me for a serious deer hunting rifle. 

Why has the ship sailed?  Heavier bullets that don't get pushed around in the wind as much?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, firstcoueswas80 said:

Why? If speed is what you like, why not. 257 wby with a 100 @ 3400--3500 fps?

Because my 22-250 Ai pushing  a 95 gr matchking gets to 1000 yds going 400 fps faster with 200 ft lbs more energy than my 257 wm pushing a 100 gr Swift at 3400. Also no brake and almost no recoil.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, dse said:

Because my 22-250 Ai pushing  a 95 gr matchking gets to 1000 yds going 400 fps faster with 200 ft lbs more energy than my 257 wm pushing a 100 gr Swift at 3400. Also no brake and almost no recoil.

Light for caliber hunting bullet vs. Heavy for caliber target bullet.

How does a .257 115 VLD ar 3250 or more compare?

12 hours ago, firstcoueswas80 said:

Light for caliber hunting bullet vs. Heavy for caliber target bullet.

How does a .257 115 VLD ar 3250 or more compare?

22-250Ai by 250 fps and 105 ft lbs.

And less kick, powder, in a short action. Not to mention the 115 berger is about as good of a BC as possible currently in the .257. Thats middle of the pack in current .224 bullets.

I love the .257 weatherby and it is certainly more versatile for other big game species, but I think this concept is extremely valid for our little Coues deer.

I guess it's a philosophical difference. I don't like shooting minimum size caliber, cartridges, bullets for big game. Whether they be big game like our little coues deer or elk. Personally I think the 224s are fantastic for coyotes and javelina.

• Like 2