Sign in to follow this  
el diablo

Youth lefty?

I know this has been tossed around before but my 9 yr old is left handed and left eye dominant. I’ve tought him to shoot left handed because he shoots better left handed so don’t want to screw him up.  I cannot find much as far as a youth lefty. Any suggestions on a rifle or should I just go with a full size and have it cut down?    Likely going 7-08. Thanks!

Savage makes the model 11 in a lefty compact in 7-08.

• Like 1

I will be headed down this road in a few years for my older son most likely. He is right handed but left eye dominant. He also can only keep his left eye open individually so I think he will end up shooting lefty. 

50 minutes ago, Hoss50 said:

I will be headed down this road in a few years for my older son most likely. He is right handed but left eye dominant. He also can only keep his left eye open individually so I think he will end up shooting lefty. 

Good luck. The options are limited. I’ Sure I could go custom but not going to spend that kind of money.  Thanks for the info on the Savage. 

My kid should be on the larger side so he may be able to go straight to a full size, at least that is my hope.

If you are able to find a lefty 700 in a short action, I have a youth stock as well as one I cut way down for my daughter.

Otherwise, I believe savage makes an youth LH axis.

Best of luck to you. 

Teach him to operate a bolt with his right hand.  He can learn it quickly and have more rifle options all his life.  Plus you can borrow his rifles.  

13 minutes ago, no worries said:

Teach him to operate a bolt with his right hand.  He can learn it quickly and have more rifle options all his life.  Plus you can borrow his rifles.  

I’ve thought  about that and  know plenty of people who do but I don’t like the idea of ejecting hot brass towards your face although he already has the same problem with semi autos. 

18 hours ago, Hoss50 said:

Savage makes the model 11 in a lefty compact in 7-08.

You really can't go wrong with this rifle.  I bought my son the right handed version and its lights out one of the best I've shot.  Get the lefty version and never look back.  Savage gives you the option to get an adult size stock when they outgrow the youth stock.

20 minutes ago, IA Born said:

You really can't go wrong with this rifle.  I bought my son the right handed version and its lights out one of the best I've shot.  Get the lefty version and never look back.  Savage gives you the option to get an adult size stock when they outgrow the youth stock.

Thanks. I’ll have to look at those 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, el diablo said:

Thanks. I’ll have to look at those 

If you're not sure if he's going to stick with it, the Savage Axis II in lefty is a great starter rifle.  I started my daughter with the original Axis in 7-08.  She loves it and loves hunting.  I had to replace the original trigger because that Axis didn't have the accutrigger.  The main reason I didn't get my son an Axis II was I couldn't find one in 7-08 with the accutrigger that wasn't Muddy Girl Camo.  I ended up getting him the 11 Trophy Hunter Compact in 7-08.  Both of my kids' Savages (Axis and 11 youth) have at least four different loads that are sub-1" groups with handloads.  Hard to beat that!

I have a LH Tikka .270 for sale.  It's an adult stock though.  I do have another stock that'd I throw in if you wanted to cut one.

• Like 1