AZElkhntr

CC Hit (First Elk Hunt) GEAR TIPS

On 3/5/2019 at 6:00 PM, wildwoody said:

Get in shape, the altitude can be a butt kicker. Enjoy the fun

Oh ya good GPS, and know how to us it, it will be a great help, from truck/camp to game trails and watering areas.

any suggestions on starter level GPS? 

5 minutes ago, AZElkhntr said:

Download one to your phone. I’ve been using an app called “topo maps” for about 5 years now. Works off of gps so you don’t need cell service. It will track you when you’re on airplane mode even. Costs about $10 if i remember right. GPS units will be a thing of the past in the next few years

12 minutes ago, AZElkhntr said:

Lot of guys still prefer classic, rugged units, but nothing beats a smartphone app for capability if you're a little tech savvy. I use my primary phone and carry a synced backup galaxy exclusively for camera and GPS. Late elk hunts with real weather may require extra precaution. 

I currently use OnX maps and pay the yearly sub. Which isn't bad. I just wanted to see if anyone suggested stand-alone units over the smartphone route. 

11 minutes ago, AZElkhntr said:

I currently use OnX maps and pay the yearly sub. Which isn't bad. I just wanted to see if anyone suggested stand-alone units over the smartphone route. 

Have a couple portable phone chargers in your pack just incase phone dies. I use Onx for everything, no need for a standalone gps anymore.

• Like 1

On 3/3/2019 at 5:59 AM, Shane.A.Luke said:

You don’t have to spend a lot to enjoy the hunt. I get my game bags AKA pillow cases at Goodwill for $0.50 or less on 1/2 day. Harbor freight has tarps and other items. Really no need for camo on rifle hunt. Just warm clothes good boots and comfortable sleeping setup. Again there you can double two cheaper sleeping bags to get awesome comfort vs. expensive one. I use moving blankets from HF on floor and on top of bag in really cold nights. With four boys I had to Improvise otherwise I would be broke. Check out Craigslist and other classified ads. Hunter/Outdoorsman are gear nuts and always selling of stuff at good prices. Here is a screenshot of my meat knive set. Not one over $25 but do awesome job. Guess you could say I am RUNNING Cheap but having fun. 

But like other posts I own good glass Swarovski 8.5x42 EL (hand hold better than 10s)and 15X56 w tripod for long range.  But my boys have Vortex which are great for price. 

Good luck this fall and enjoy the campfire. 

3B1FF6E6-D6DD-4DFB-9B73-6092D72CFC72.png

This, probably the best advice anyone can give you. Prioritize your funds don’t blow your entire budget on name brand camo and knives and game bags and all kinds of other fancy stuff. After all if you can’t find the elk you will not need any of that other stuff anyways. My way of telling people on how to start getting into hunting gear is binoculars/tripod first. 

I either pulled a bull 23 North Sep/Oct or Bul 6A Nov/Dec tag and I don't really have anything that fits me anymore. 

Does anyone have opinions on First Lite or Kuiu? 

I have worn both. Both are great! I prefer First Lite because im tall and slim and first lite fits me a little better. Shirt sleeves and pants were always a little short on me from kuiu, the only kuiu piece that I still run is the zip off bottom base layers. Everything else I use has all been switched over to FL. Cant really go wrong with either in my opinion. i'm 6'2 190 for reference. Would be sweet if you pulled that early 23 north tag! Good luck!