Sign in to follow this  
sure_shot

lions in 36b?

first of all i have to say.....WOW! what a cool site...im glad i joined! im hunting 36b in november (most of my concentration will be on a coues buck) is it worth spending the few bucks for a lion tag? ive been told by a few people that there is a decent lion populatin down there but i must say im really in the dark on this one :D ...any suggestions/advise?

good luck to everyone with a tag this year

S_S

there are lions everywhere in Az. if you wanna legally take one, buy a permit. i'd recomend everyone to buy a permit when they buy their license and to shoot every lion they can. but that's just me. Lark.

lark, im really new to hunting in az. shot my first coues buck ever last year in 36b (a tiny little spike) but dont realy konw where to look for a cat...any suggestions on what type of contry to keep my eyes on?

S_S

Buy the tag and shoot one when you see it. We saw one on monday but it was to fast to get a shot off.

i buy a lion tag every year, still have yet to see one. had a partner shoot a buck a few years ago, and a lion actually jumped on it and took it down and of course he didnt have a tag

Buy the tag!!! There is nothing as bad as to see a lion and not have a tag. Last Javalina season my nephew asked me why he needed to spend the money on a lion tag. Well on our third day we called in 2 lions and he shot a tom that wieghed in at 105 after being field dressed. So I say again buy the Tag.

Lee

got the tag this afternoon...thanks for the imput

have a good hunt everyone

S_S

sureshot, if you're in Az., you're in lion country. the state has a lot of em. as far as looking for one, that's hit and miss, with a lot more misses. best thing to do is to have a tag in your pocket so if the opportunity does arise, you're ready. all you fellers, buy a tag. the money goes to a good cause and if ol' tom lion happens to appear in your scope, you'll be ready and have a neat rug to look at and a cool story to tell yer grandkids. you know the one, where it was just you, the lion and a dull knife. and you wuz young and built like the terminator and still had hair. anyway, you'll get the hang of it. Lark.

:lol: i think i know that story...heard that one from my grandpa about a black bear in northern idaho.....lol

anyways like i said i got the tag and hopefully i can spot one...or better yet like casey's hunting partener ill have one stalk and jump on the buck i just shot....awww the dreams of a hunter. cant wait to get out there

S_S

I've bought a lion tag every year for over a decade. I wouldn't go hunting without it. I've seen 4 cats in this state. Unfortunately I've never had a gun in my hand when I've seen them. It seems that they know I'm bow hunting when they come around.

It is true about seeing cats anywhere in the state. I've seen them in the desert and the pines. They are everywhere. Please shoot one for me if you get the chance.

Save a deer.....shoot a lion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

recurveman

Now I'm one of those tree huggers

I've seen three lions in Arizona, two spotlighting and one during daylight hours about 8 yards from me. I wish I had a weapon on me to whack him with. That probably won't happen again anytime soon, that's why next month the dogs will be chasing them lions up trees.

recurveman, i dont know about saving a deer but given the chance i will most definatley shoot a lion...ive seen them while i was living in utah but as a lot of people seem to have experienced i didnt have a gun(just a fly rod and a couple of woolybuggers). if i get one ill be looking for more advise on how to cook them...ive been told they are alot like pork....is this true? :unsure:

well the hunt is coming up pretty quick...i cant wait to get out there! ive been bitten by the coues bug!...(carefull...its contagious)

shaun

Edited by sure_shot

Well if you get one you can invite everyone from this board over to your place for a little pussy.......cat that is. I have to say I'll be the first in line.

Later,

recurveman

Ok this is will get you guys upset, I know it did to us in camp last week. A good friend of ours was hunting with us in 36B with his son. He killed his buck opening day and on saturday he was out with his son. While they were watching a herd of does and spikes he noticed a large buck that was hiding in some brush acting funny. My buddy said he saw 2 lions in the canyon watching the deer not 100yds from them! When I asked him how many of the cats they killed or got a shot at he said neither. They didnt want to shoot the cats and scare the buck off he said. I dont know about you guys but I will take a cat over a buck any day. Later he realized what he had done.

Eric

I know a guy who passed on a shot at a big lion because we had a 120 class deer bedded just on the other side of the ridge. The way it worked out that day we killed neither the buck or the tigre and we should have shot the lion. I am not sure what I would have done. I am young, have most of my hair and am built like the terminator after he ate 50 cheesecakes or so and have already killed a lion with a mostly dull juniper limb and a very dull rock. But still, I think I would have killed the tigre :D. And if you ever wonder, if you are hunting in any unit more than 50 miles from Yuma than yeah, you should buy a lion tag.

Bret M.

Edited by bullwidgeon