Sign in to follow this  
Yoshi

Elk Back Pack

Kifaru.  Pick up a used one over on Rokslide.com and it will be be the best thing you have ever done for your back.  They carry weight very well and are highly customizable to fit YOUR torso, waist, back profile and hunting needs.  I used to think my Eberlestock's and badlands were comfortable.   After Making the leap to Kifaru, the difference is like going from a cheap pack to a badlands or eberlestock.   Some other good higher end companies to check out are EXO and Stone Glacier.

• Like 3

Watch the classifieds on here. I picked up my Badlands Summit basically new for $200. I also bought a well used but serviceable Badlands 2200 for my buddy for $100.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Yoshi said:

Rifle Early December hunt...22 north

If the meat pack you got is comfortable you might be able to get away with it.  Once I can afford it I will probably get a mystery ranch pack. They are known to be comfortable, light and also work as pack frames. You are welcome to use my Dragonfly for your hunt. To give you a comparison the Dragonfly j107 pack is in the 8 to 9 pound range empty, it is a beast when loaded with gear. My team elk pack i think is 6.5 pounds. The higher end packs like mystery ranch are in the 4.5 to 5 pound range.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hoss50 said:

Watch the classifieds on here. I picked up my Badlands Summit basically new for $200. I also bought a well used but serviceable Badlands 2200 for my buddy for $100.

Midway USA has the Badlands Summit pack is normally $400, but is on sale for $178..  That's $222 or 55% off it's regular price.  The Ascent pack is normally $250, but Is $133 right now at Midwayusa.    The Badlands HDX is like $70 right now at 50% off it's regular price of $140.  I am not trying to push Midway USA, but those deals are incredible.

• Like 2

Eberlestock, Mystery Ranch, Kifaru, or old school Badlands (anything since they came out with the Sacrifice they all suffer with issues) will be durable enough. Don't count on the Alpz Outdoor pack to survive a pack out in rough country. 

Out of my 8 hunting packs the Kifaru Fulcrum with Guide Lid or Eberlestock Dragonfly with the large pad waist belt works great for almost anything. 

• Like 1

The reason for the discounted Summit packs on MidwayUSA and Camofire or really anywhere is because Badlands has discontinued the Summit pack. They are replacing it with the new Vario pack, it is a modular pack system, having two different sized frames and 4 different packs that you can attach to it. This makes it capable of going on a day hunt with a 1800 CI pack, then attaching the 6500 CI pack for a deep backcountry hunt the next day.

Also, Badlands is going to all YKK zippers on apparel and packs in 2019, so their "zipper" issues will disappear! (hopefully)

• Like 1

Thanks Guys i think that i'll get the Badlands 2200 ....they have it at Cabelas at $199.97 being that i have a couple of gift cards that i have not used... can't pass the deal ...

Thanks to all brotherhood  for your advise!!

• Like 1

Yoshi, if you don't have the full $200 in cabelas gift cards you can get them at a 10% discount right now at raise.com.  then if you go to the activejunky website and go to cabelas through them you can get another 10% cash back. Not a bad deal.

• Like 1

On 3/22/2019 at 8:36 PM, Hoss50 said:

I have a badlands summit. It is a big pack but it was nice to stick lots or meat in this year during deer season. 

The badlands 2200 is a little smaller but still a good size pack. My buddy uses one of those. 

On 3/23/2019 at 9:15 PM, pirogue said:

My first, and last, Badlands had bad zippers.  Always thought the two  were synonymous.  Only owned Kifaru since then.

I bought a badlands 2200 pack in 2005 and still use it as my main "day pack".  I can cinch it down so it doesn't feel like it's taking up too much room or cram it full of "stuff" if I'm on an all-day jaunt in bad weather or going a long way.  Regarding pirogue's zipper comment, I've had the pull tabs break on some of the zippers on my 2200,  Aside from putting small key rings on the zipper heads to pull with, they all still work fine after 14 years of heavy use.  Note that I am careful with my equipment which may lead to having fewer problems with it, but with all manufactured things, there are some lemons out there. 

The Badlands 2200 isn't a one-pack-does-all pack, but IMHO the best "day pack" I've ever used which can carry about 50# comfortably if need be.  I've used it on rifle deer hunts packing my Zeiss 15x60s and Manfrotto tripod as well as the rifle in the rifle "pouch", and have used it extensively on archery elk hunts.  I have an old Gerry internal frame backpack for carrying meat as well as a Kelty packframe with a "shelf" I added when needed.  The Gerry is clearly the most comfortable for carrying a lot of weight (in the form of just meat), but the Kelty is best for tying on things like pigs, whole or half whitetails and the like,

Here's my recommendations:

1)  Decide how much you really have to spend

2)  Decide what you need most as in a pack for weight or a day pack

3)  Figure out your limitations... not everyone can strap on 100# of meat and head for the truck...

4)  For any pack you get, make sure it fits your frame.  Even the daypacks should have the ability to keep the weight off your shoulders (internal frame), because if not, you're not going to be liking it very much after a long day on your feet. 

5)  Remember, carrying meat is likely only 1/10th of the time (or less) you're spending in the field.  You may be able to get by with a good external frame for carrying the load if it has a very good waist belt system and good shoulder straps.  Your focus may need to be on what you really need on a daily basis as that's going to be the bulk of your time in the woods.

One pack can do it all, but as Lance and others in the past have (accurately) identified, they're not cheap to get that all-in-one.  Those are great for sure, but when you're in line at Bashas and you want to purchase groceries with a single $10 bill, you can't walk out with $20 worth of groceries.

my two cents...

• Like 4

On 3/25/2019 at 8:28 PM, Yoshi said:

Thanks Guys i think that i'll get the Badlands 2200 ....they have it at Cabelas at $199.97 being that i have a couple of gift cards that i have not used... can't pass the deal ...

Thanks to all brotherhood  for your advise!!

The non camo 2200 is on camofire today for $168

• Like 1

One heads up as you decide.  The state of Arizona does not like mesh on the sides of backpacks.  Cats claw and other poky things tear at mesh.  Holes in mesh pockets can lead to lost items.  Pockets on sides of pack or on hip belt are best when they are made of tough tear resistant materials like Cordura or ripstop.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, CatfishKev said:

The non camo 2200 is on camofire today for $168

Dang!...Already got on order the Approach FX with the Hydration syste ...Thanks Again CatfishKev !

Here it is!!! just came in today with the Hydration system!!...

badlands.jpg

• Like 3