Sign in to follow this  
PRDATR

San Diego 4th of July Suggestions

Looking good, some nice early action.  Hope you guys have the time of your lives!  Good Luck!

• Like 1

On 5/10/2019 at 5:07 PM, PRDATR said:

Thanks for that input, you too BLJ. This trip was what best fit into our schedule. We are both tired of going out and just catching a few small fish but each trip is different and I know there are no guarantees. I'm pretty thick skinned  but working construction for 40 years as a journeyman, a PM and a GC I have come across all types.

My biggest hurdle will be to bring stout enough tackle and learn how to fish the big ones but this ain't my first rodeo and have been fishing salt water since I was 3 in the mid 50's. I'll probably rent some heavy tackle for those 50-150 pounders although I don't know what I'll do if we catch over 100#'s of fish, as unlikely as it may be. If I get one over 40 I'll be a happy camper.

ya think this might scare some folks off?  california budgets lol.

• Wow! 1

That Shimano is really nice and if I went more often I would definitley get one. I have a Penn GTI 340 on a Roddy Hunter I will use but I will look to rent a bigger setup to also have when I go. Biggest problem is you  never know what will bite it and I could get spooled. 

Dan Hernandez is an old fishing buddy from the '90s slingin' iron at san clemente island.  we both had shops in east LA.

when he refers to 30 size and 50 size it means reels with equivalent line capacity of a penn International 30 or penn international 50.

And the increased drag. Never know what is going to show up so I would want at least 50#'s of drag or even more so I don't get spooled or have to spend an hour bringing the fish to the gaff.