Sign in to follow this  
PRDATR

San Diego 4th of July Suggestions

Don't bring just one or two rod and reel set-ups.  Be ready for whatever.  I would recommend a 25/30# rig, a 40# rig, and a 60# rig at a minimum, maybe even an 80# set up.  Be sure that big one is a 2 speed!  Be sure you have fresh line!  Don't let that be the difference in your bucket list fish coming over the rail or not.  There have been some huge models ripping people a new one.  There is also a lot of yellowtail and now yellowfin tuna starting to show in the mix.  Again, be ready for whatever the ocean gives you!  Have Fun and Good Luck!

• Like 1

Man, I admire you guys who can put up with those cattle boat excursions. They're like organized chaos when the fishing is going on. 

A friend and I went on an overnighter with H&M in the early 1970s, and it wasn't a fun first experience for me. The sea going out was really rough, so I was seasick from the get-go. 🤢 It got even worse when the fishing started and the beer & blood started flowing around.  🤮 I eventually headed for my bunk and curled up in fetal position for the ride in. When we got back my buddy called his wife on a pay phone, and I asked him to have her call mine and tell her I was never going out to sea again.  From then on I never went out on the ocean without Dramamine or later on, Scopolamine patches. 

A year or so later, the folks from Fenwick invited me out on their boat to chase yellowfin. I started off with one of the telephone-pole like rods with a big reel and quickly decided that wasn't a lot of fun. So I switched to a med. spinning rig with 10-lb. test and had a blast catching big YFs.

I also went out of Long Beach aboard a friend's sport fisherman. We spent the entire day at the kelp beds catching barracuda on light tackle. 

Sometime in the mid-80s, the Canadian Consulate sent a gal writer and me on a press junket to Nova Scotia. One of the things we did was spend a day fishing for REALLY, REALLY big fish -- bluefin tuna that sell to the Japanese for thousands of $$$$$$. And the captain owns the catch! We had two hits in six hours of trolling and landed one of those that weighed 625 lbs. I let the gal handle it for the most part until she got too exhausted. It was like having a VW beetle on the end of the line. All in all, pretty boring. 

The most fun I've had on the ocean was fishing for king salmon at Buck's Camp at River's Inlet, BC.  It was worth three trips, too. It's kinda of a DIY set-up where they give the folks a small skiff and tackle and send them off to fish. The tackle they supply consists of a 9' fly rod and reel with 30# line. I opted to bring my own --  bass fishing rigs spooled with 17# line.  Over those three trips, I landed at least 10 king salmon over 50 lbs. (biggest was 68) and never lost one. Also caught oodles of the other salmons, mostly pinks and silvers. When I hooked a king and it made a run, I'd follow backwards, standing on the back seat and steering the motor with my foot. In most cases, it would take 15-20 minutes before I saw the fish. Then the trick was to get it into the big net and boat by myself. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Outdoor Writer said:

Those are babies compared to the east coast variety. The one in the above video was 118" and 960 lbs. 

Comparing pacific bluefin to Atlantic bluefin is the same as calling a coues deer a baby compared to an eastern whitetail. 

30 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

Comparing pacific bluefin to Atlantic bluefin is the same as calling a coues deer a baby compared to an eastern whitetail. 

Agree. It's fact nonetheless. I'd much rather battle the smaller version. 

16 hours ago, Outdoor Writer said:

So I switched to a med. spinning rig with 10-lb. test and had a blast catching big YFs.

How big were the tuna 

2 hours ago, trphyhntr said:

How big were the tuna 

20-45 lbs. 

If I was on a cattle boat, there is no way I could have used that gear set up without pissing off a lot of people. Fortunately, there were only three of us fishing. 

This is a 59-lb. king in BC on 17-lb. line.  You can see my two bass rigs sitting in the boat. 

Rivers Inlet King

My wife with a nice 15-lb. silver

Rivers Inlet Silver

• Like 2

I've been watching the reports. Still hit and miss, not sure if that is just the nature of bluefin fishing or if it is just because the season is kicking off but I know I don't want to drop $1700 for my son and I to go fishing and not catch any fish.

42 minutes ago, PRDATR said:

I've been watching the reports. Still hit and miss, not sure if that is just the nature of bluefin fishing or if it is just because the season is kicking off but I know I don't want to drop $1700 for my son and I to go fishing and not catch any fish.

if you want guaranteed bluefin go here https://www.sakanasushiandgrill.com/sushi-menu. way cheaper

there will be little moon and you will have a blast.  the fleet will have spotter planes up after the 30th looking for the biggest shortfin.

luck,

lee

or

On 6/19/2019 at 5:21 PM, PRDATR said:

gonna be a good trip.  big bluefin and some schoolies, yft to 30lbs, fork to 30lbs and now dorado.  methinks it will be an epic july offshore.  just wahoo and bigeye are missing so far.

you'll know it's a great trip when you can see free swimming tuna all around the boat but can't get hooked up because a dorado takes the bait the instant it hits the water.  evil grin.

lee

• Like 2