Sign in to follow this  
PRDATR

San Diego 4th of July Suggestions

2 hours ago, biglakejake said:

gonna be a good trip.  big bluefin and some schoolies, yft to 30lbs, fork to 30lbs and now dorado.  methinks it will be an epic july offshore.  just wahoo and bigeye are missing so far.

you'll know it's a great trip when you can see free swimming tuna all around the boat but can't get hooked up because a dorado takes the bait the instant it hits the water.  evil grin.

lee

That would work. Still working on getting the right tackle. About time for me to chit or get off the pot.

I remember watching a school of Yellowfin busting bait when we were fishing in Oahu. Just as we turned to get closer we hooked a Marlin which my buddys 18 yo daughter fought and landed. 

Still not much consistent action but I will probably book us on either the Legend or the Constitution tomorrow.

2 hours ago, trphyhntr said:

Not much consistent action? Every boat is getting shots at bluefin nearly everyday. A lot of guys hook them on the wrong gear and lose them. 

Just an observation from the boat reports I have read and Bloody Decks. I have only seen one report where everyone had a fish. I agree they are out there but one report I read said there was a school 1/2 long and wouldn't bite as they were feeding on red crabs.

Its fishing; there are no guarantees!  One thing for sure is you can't catch em if you don't go.  Have at it!

• Like 2

i guess we just have different standards because the chances of getting bit look pretty good to me.

i just sold my shimano tallus and some other stufff and got an okuma pch xh to go with my fathom 25nld2. i want to get a 40nld2 for it but i need to sell more freshwater stuff first. 

• Like 1

I've been eyeballing pretty much same rig, Okuma PCH 741 xxh and the Penn Fathom 40NLD2.  Good to go for 60 or 80#.  Maybe not for the 300# cows at the Rocks or the Lupe but should give a fighting chance at a local bluefin.   You can also always rent a 60# or 80# 2 speed rig at the Landing.

• Love 1

11 minutes ago, Heat said:

I've been eyeballing pretty much same rig, Okuma PCH 741 xxh and the Penn Fathom 40NLD2.  Good to go for 60 or 80#.  Maybe not for the 300# cows at the Rocks or the Lupe but should give a fighting chance at a local bluefin.   You can also always rent a 60# or 80# 2 speed rig at the Landing.

yeah thats exactly the setup i want, with 80lb. they caught a 275lb bluefin on sunday during the yellowtail tournament. 

• Like 1

i'm just an ol' boy out of the game but that Constitution trip would be my pick and if there is a fishermeeting just off the dock i would vote go long over the local bluefin..good luck and take some band-aids.

lee

ps can i send you some film so we can get a few pics back?

Don't know much about the Constitution or the crew but I can say that 2 full days and night hours for fishing should give you a legit crack at a bluefin.  They have planes as Lee mentioned and code groups on the radio where they all share spots and whatever.  If there are any bluefin biting within 200 miles of San Diego your boat will know about it.  Like Richard alludes to a lot depends on the anglers and their gear when you are talking about fish this size, no harnesses, no boat backing down on the fish, just the rod & reel, the rail, and angler to get the fish on board.  That takes skill, patience, and good luck!

• Like 1

I'll be on the Constitution for that weekend, if you are looking to carpool or want to talk coues hunting back home while moving spots. BFT is tough no matter what, but every report I am hearing points to more fish in the water than anyone has seen in our lifetime. It is just a matter of getting on a school that wants to play and having the gear to play ball with them.

• Like 3