Sign in to follow this  
Umpqua

12A West Late or 12B West Late. Which one?

3 hours ago, Roosevelt Mark said:

I know 2 guys that both  killed 200" bucks in 12AW last year. Self guided, and there 1st time in 12aw.

That is awesome!

On 5/29/2019 at 8:03 PM, Umpqua said:

I have max.  Even with max, draw odds for 13B should be something like 25 to 1 or 4%.  I should pretty much have my choice of tags on my second choice.

If you are at max you will be drawn for 13b. Unless you are non resident.  

Edited by AZkiller
Just looked at your profile. I see you are a non resident.

1 hour ago, AZkiller said:

If you are at max you will be drawn for 13b. Unless you are non resident.  

He’s from Oregon.

• Like 1

I was told the 12a deer migrate from Utah too, or at least some. We glassed up a buck with a Utah tag on his ear and I know some were checked in with tags as well. Utah GF tagged a bunch to monitor travel.

Yep, I'm from Oregon.  Just some thoughts.

Today, I spent a couple hours drafting a letter to my home state of Oregon about a proposed change, that went up on their website yesterday.  They are making a proposal that will basically nullify 22 points that I've built for a top 3 mule deer tag that I should draw in the next few years.  The proposal came out two weeks after the application deadline and indicates it may go into effect next year.  Moves like these that make me super leery on tags where I can draw a great tag now, but may still have a 15 year wait for the best tag.  The 13B rifle tag is in that category.  There is a large backlog of max point applicants and quite a few with one less than max that just need to travel out to Arizona to get their hunter's safety point. 

Earlier this year AZGFD was proposing a Super Point idea where one point could be bought for one specie.  I have 30 for antelope, 30 for sheep (after this year's draw), max for deer, and 21 for elk.  Which tag would I buy the Super Point for if that happened?  Probably sheep.  I would start falling behind on the other species as other applicants bought Super points for those species.  Proposals like that are devastating when you have nearly 2 to 3 decades and license fees invested in a tag. 

It was just a few years ago the AZ nonresident tag allocation changed where only 1/2 of the tags could go in the Bonus Pass.  That moved a 13B tag from something in the foreseeable future to double that time.   That's why I'm seriously thinking a Kaibab rut deer hunt (12A or 12B) this year could be a pile of fun! :)

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Umpqua said:

Yep, I'm from Oregon.  Just some thoughts.

Today, I spent a couple hours drafting a letter to my home state of Oregon about a proposed change, that went up on their website yesterday.  They are making a proposal that will basically nullify 22 points that I've built for a top 3 mule deer tag that I should draw in the next few years.  The proposal came out two weeks after the application deadline and indicates it may go into effect next year.  Moves like these that make me super leery on tags where I can draw a great tag now, but may still have a 15 year wait for the best tag.  The 13B rifle tag is in that category.  There is a large backlog of max point applicants and quite a few with one less than max that just need to travel out to Arizona to get their hunter's safety point. 

Earlier this year AZGFD was proposing a Super Point idea where one point could be bought for one specie.  I have 30 for antelope, 30 for sheep (after this year's draw), max for deer, and 21 for elk.  Which tag would I buy the Super Point for if that happened?  Probably sheep.  I would start falling behind on the other species as other applicants bought Super points for those species.  Proposals like that are devastating when you have nearly 2 to 3 decades and license fees invested in a tag. 

It was just a few years ago the AZ nonresident tag allocation changed where only 1/2 of the tags could go in the Bonus Pass.  That moved a 13B tag from something in the foreseeable future to double that time.   That's why I'm seriously thinking a Kaibab rut deer hunt (12A or 12B) this year could be a pile of fun! :)

Jim - Good pts and I agree with you. Better to Hunt now than wait for some fairytale that can be undone with any number of factors out of your control.

As a point of clarification the super point was not proposed by AZGFD, it was simply something they asked for feedback on. I believe the proposal was taken to the Dept by sportsmen groups.

• Like 1

Just now, Flatlander said:

Jim - Good pts and I agree with you. Better to Hunt now than wait for some fairytale that can be undone with any number of factors out of your control.

As a point of clarification the super point was not proposed by AZGFD, it was simply something they asked for feedback on. I believe the proposal was taken to the Dept by sportsmen groups.

Good clarification Flatlander!  Thank you.

Some people look up to sports stars or political figures.  With those bonus point numbers, you are officially my new hero!!!   I think you’re on to something.  I’ve spent a little time on the kaibab but never on the strip.  I think you can kill every bit as good of a buck on the late kaibab and have a lot more fun doing it.  I think the biggest reason most people kill on average smaller deer in there then the strip is because more people put mega time into a strip hunt because they know they need to.  A second thing is I think most people don’t know the difference/ can’t pass up a high 170’s buck so they run across one a lot quicker on the kaibab then on the strip.  That’s just my uneducated 2 cents

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, yotebuster said:

Some people look up to sports stars or political figures.  With those bonus point numbers, you are officially my new hero!!!   I think you’re on to something.  I’ve spent a little time on the kaibab but never on the strip.  I think you can kill every bit as good of a buck on the late kaibab and have a lot more fun doing it.  I think the biggest reason most people kill on average smaller deer in there then the strip is because more people put mega time into a strip hunt because they know they need to.  A second thing is I think most people don’t know the difference/ can’t pass up a high 170’s buck so they run across one a lot quicker on the kaibab then on the strip.  That’s just my uneducated 2 cents

Ha ha...maybe I'll give you my autograph. ;)

Is your goat in your profile pic from a draw tag?  Those sure aren't easy to come by.

I think sifting through a pile of Kaibab bucks would be a very fulfilling hunt.

1 hour ago, BOHNTR said:

Go with a bow and hunt 13B......you’ll have a fun hunt as well!

That would be.  I have a big tag in August this year.

• Like 1

12aw would be my choice. I have limited experience in kaibab, but did get my first kaibab hunt and first deer last year in 12AE on the October hunt. 

I had good recommendations from a buddy that helped me get a nice deer. He wasn't a monster by kaibab standards but was a darn nice deer IMO and was DIY. I saw 2 bigger deer at the check station when I checked mine, but bother were guided. 

12aw late and out of state i would seriously consider a guide. The next time i hunt kaibab on any hunt i will scout alot more. 

Also buy a left over elk tag just in case. It would suck to spot them and have to pass on that good meat. 

From Phoenix the BAB is allmost like an out of state hunt. Thats why I went guided. on late hunt it is cold I had no good tent or camper. By time I scouted 2-3 times and lost work and rented camper, I would of had 3500 $ into it . For 2 K more You get guide and knoledge.....BOB!

13 hours ago, Umpqua said:

Ha ha...maybe I'll give you my autograph. ;)

Is your goat in your profile pic from a draw tag?  Those sure aren't easy to come by.

I think sifting through a pile of Kaibab bucks would be a very fulfilling hunt.

I drew that one in Montana last year!  Not complaining!  Draws have been very very good to me over the years, I am just impressed with your point portfolio!!  I got into the game a little late to ever force draw on top tier tags anywhere so I’ve focused on 4th-5th tier type hunts across the west and have gotten pretty lucky along the way!  Good luck with the deer draw.  I think you’ll have a lot of fun either way!

15 hours ago, yotebuster said:

I drew that one in Montana last year!  Not complaining!  Draws have been very very good to me over the years, I am just impressed with your point portfolio!!  I got into the game a little late to ever force draw on top tier tags anywhere so I’ve focused on 4th-5th tier type hunts across the west and have gotten pretty lucky along the way!  Good luck with the deer draw.  I think you’ll have a lot of fun either way!

That is awesome you drew in Montana!

I started in the early 80s chasing sheep tags and it overflowed into other species.  When preference systems went into effect, I was an early adopter.  My biggest regret hunting was not buying my Arizona hunting license the very first year bonus points went into effect.  I still can't believe that move I made.  Live and learn.