recurveman

Looking for quail

Now I'm not asking for your hot spot where you are seeing all of those 130"+ whitetails. I'm just hoping that some of you have run across some mearns quail while you were out hunting this year. This is where I really think these boards can be great. If you aren't a quail hunter then you really don't hurt yourself by helping someone else find the animal that they are looking for. How great is that.

So, has anyone ran into any mearns this year. I have some pups that need to learn how to hunt them and I've never really hunted them myself. So any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

recurveman

Did ya get a bull? I ran into some off of Summit Motorway in 36b and behind Carchner Cavern in the Whetstones, we went into Jaques Canyon and headed north directly behind the cave.

Deer creek 32 has a lot in that area power cabin trailhead from water tank to yellow grass mesa that area along the cliffs has a lot.

I saw turkey in there last year.

Dan :D

I bet 270 has a story about a being attacked by a marauding herd of rabid Mearns and having only a pocket knife and his wily ways to bring him home safe. I love his stories. think he missed his true calling-oughta be writing novels- i know that i would buy them.

Trufletch

Unit 32 has plenty of quail. I see tons when I'm hunting for coues, even up in some of the higher peaks in the unit. Most of them are gambel's quail, but I have seen some mearns as well. Everytime I get a deer in that unit and have some time to burn, the quail hunting begins.

Hey Recurveman, here are a couple of pics to get ya fired up about this upcoming Mearns season! I took this double on my newest pup's first outing with me this last season. That was her first covey of Mearns under the nose, and she threw out a pretty little point on them till they scared her out of her skin when they came out of that grass when I walked in front of her!! She was only about 4 months old at the time.

I can't wait to get after a few coveys of Mearns this season. I've been getting into a fair amount of Gambels around Oracle this season so far. Good luck this fall and maybe we'll bump into each other out there chasin' those Mearns up in the oaks!

Scottyboy

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v165/sco...pennymearns.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v165/sco...x/mearnpics.jpg

Good looking pup there, Scott. Maybe around Christmas I'll be able to head down south and let my wire hair find some birds with your Britt.

Doug/RedRabbit

Scottyboy - do you shave your brit down or is it just a pup? I've seen a few britts shaved down and want to do that to mine. I think it would be really nice for the summer and keeping all the burrs off of them during the hunt. Thanks for the info. I can hardly wait until the season starts for mearns.

Later,

recurveman

Doug, thanks for the kind words about the pup. She is going to be a helluva birddog with a couple of seasons under her belt. She is doing good this season so far and it is her first to hunt.

And, as Bob Barker says, " Come on Down!" I think we could get into a few coveys down south of here with no problem. Just let me know when.....

Recurveman, in the pic, she was just a little pup, maybe 3 1/2 or 4 months old, so that was her first coat. This past summer though, we kept her trimmed down just to try to keep her cool as possible. But she has a pretty thick coat now and we'll let her grow it all the way out for the winter. I just carry a metal tooth comb with me in the field to work out any stickers or briars in her coat. We're headed out this afternoon to try and get into a covey or two of Gambels and hopefully a covey or two of Blues too!

Scottyboy

I kicked up 4 nice coveys west of Parker Canyon lake in the hills. One covy came up to me while I was glassing, the birds were about 5 feet from me, pretty cool. They make the strangest sounds when they are calm. They reminded me of little gremlins how they would pop up ther heads make a GReee noise pop ther head down and come up 4 feet from were they were

They are cool as heck. But every time I have seen them I have a deer rifle in my hands.

I saw a covey of Mearn's today while I was at work down south of Arivaca off of TB road. Iwas near the Jarillas Ranch and glanced over and saw a male sitting on a rock about twenty feet off the road. I got out the binos and watched him for a few minutes and then got out of the truck and walked over there to see how close I could get to them before they flushed. I walked over to the place where I last saw the male, and got within 3 feet of the coveybefore they decided that was too close for comfort! There was about 7 birds in the covey. Wish I had a camera with me to snap a few pics of that rooster on that rock. Quite a sight! Nice to see a few Mearns still out there in that neck of the woods!

Scottyboy