Sign in to follow this  
10Turkeys

Where Am I? And What Was I?

It's on a dirt road that goes East and West with a lot of curves. Starts out paved on both sides. The foundation that is pictured is on the North side of the road.

This is in a unit that normally has left over tags, but this past draw there were none, a few people were surprised on another post. I had passed this spot many times and never realized it was there, until my buddy who recently passed away at 93, told me that he came to this spot in the 1930's to bring his father something to eat, he was on foot, and where he was at he would have to walk west to get to this spot.

36 minutes ago, Heat said:

Wagon stop on the old Butterfield Trail?  Contention, AZ?

No. I'm surprised a BP guy hasn't said where it's at, probably has  been by it a million times.

The Building on this foundation didn't make it, but if you take this dirt road a little to the east, on the south side there are a few buildings that are still standing. I think the last time I was there the population was 2.

That foundation is what's left of the Ruby Jail. It's a little west of the town. My buddy's Dad used to hit the sauce then have to sleep it off in the can, then he would take him something to eat. I guess the mine at Ruby had it's heyday in the 1920's and 30's.

• Like 3

Ruby was my guess. Wicked, wicked past.

4 hours ago, 10Turkeys said:

That foundation is what's left of the Ruby Jail. It's a little west of the town. My buddy's Dad used to hit the sauce then have to sleep it off in the can, then he would take him something to eat. I guess the mine at Ruby had it's heyday in the 1920's and 30's.

A real life Otis Campbell of Mayberry. :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My first 5-6 years of coues hunting was straight south of Ruby practically on the border. 

On 7/12/2019 at 8:57 PM, AZ8 said:

A real life Otis Campbell of Mayberry. :)

My buds dad was a Yaqui Indian, so I don't think his name was Otis. Everyone has some sort of a demon that they have to face, weather it be booze, drugs, gambling, so on and so on. Sometimes we can keep the demon at bay and sometimes it gets us and won't let go. One time I ask my friend what happened to his dad, and he said that one time he took off, and never came back.