Jump to content
Heat

1.5 Day Offshore Trip

Recommended Posts

Ya the store is a lot cheaper!  The processors will not only cut, gut, and skin your fish, but they will vacuum pack it in 3 mil or 5 mil vacuum bags, seal, and flash freeze it.  You can trade out for smoked, jerky, or canned tuna also.  Of course you pay for that too. 

I have always just had my fish cut on the boat.  One day I may take them to 5 Star or Sportsmens.  I don't think you have much choice on long range trips.  I think they all gotta go to the processor or you take it whole.  I don't think they make a yeti that will fit a 300# bluefin do they?  LOL!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/14/2019 at 7:42 PM, trphyhntr said:

Yes I do remember that. I wonder if he still deep sea fishes 


Hes been pretty sick for the last few years. I thought kurt(mr bass) said he had a Heart attack or something last year. Booya works right across the street from me and Ive only seen him a few times in passing in the last 4-5 years.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/14/2019 at 7:42 PM, trphyhntr said:

Yes I do remember that. I wonder if he still deep sea fishes 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, biglakejake said:

audio from the t-bird today-azcouesandelk's trip i think.  skipper needs a happy pill........

http://976-tuna.com/audios/71045

That was the trip I was on. I had a blast on the trip and will be going again for sure. We only had 3 or 4 fish in the boat by 2 in the afternoon. Not sure if the fish were not feeding or what. We ended up getting into a pile of yellowtail and a few yellowfin for about 2 hours. After that it was very slow with only 5 or 6 more fish caught the rest of the day. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3,755 yft dock totals for today.  includes 2-3 day trips docking up today.  way better eatin' than doves.

lee

ichiban.jpg.cf1408ca5bcfdb8b4515079cd91b7a35.jpg

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

several forum members will be on the water the next couple weekends.  all the on-the-water reports are calling for 20lb mono w 20lb floro topshot and a little #2 live bait hook.  the yft top out at 25# and the bft to 50#.  an sl20 class narrow reel and a 7' 12-30lb class stick looks like a necessity.  the trick is to get bit-pick that liveliest bait in the handwell-and don't worry 20#/#2 will catch lots of tuna under 30lbs.  keep  the 40 and 50# rigs close and good luck.  i still wouldn't play with spinners but i'm old and old skool.

lee

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My slammer 6500 spinner would make short work of a 25lb yellowfin and would have no problem with a 50lb bluefin. Every where else in the world they use spinners these days, except California. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, trphyhntr said:

My slammer 6500 spinner would make short work of a 25lb yellowfin and would have no problem with a 50lb bluefin. Every where else in the world they use spinners these days, except California. 

agreed. but.  what do you do about the line twist?  i have seen yellowtail caught on spinners and when the fish was gaffed the line pressure went away.  with the pressure off the line bloomed off the spool into a birdnest the size of softball.

lee

ps system would not allow me to send this to you as personal message

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Picked up two inexpensive Shimano BG 4500 X 701MH combos for my son in laws that will be going on the 2.5 day Excalibur this weekend.  Loaded them with 50# braid and will be using fluoro leaders of appropriate weight as necessary.  Hope the drags will hold up.  Got all different weights of fluoro leader material and plenty of small hooks.  My son in laws have no experience with level winds and did not do well with them during practice.  The ability to gently toss a lively bait 50' or more is often a deal breaker.  I really want these guys to experience a wide open bite.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, biglakejake said:

agreed. but.  what do you do about the line twist?  i have seen yellowtail caught on spinners and when the fish was gaffed the line pressure went away.  with the pressure off the line bloomed off the spool into a birdnest the size of softball.

lee

ps system would not allow me to send this to you as personal message

sounds like he might of had it overfilled or put it on backwards and it still had a lot memory? mine is full of 50lb braid and ive never had a twist with it yet., its been used a lot. i will report back if i get one. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, trphyhntr said:

My slammer 6500 spinner would make short work of a 25lb yellowfin and would have no problem with a 50lb bluefin. Every where else in the world they use spinners these days, except California. 

I've got a spinner with 80# spectra and normally a 60+ pound short top shot.   It crushes fish and you can get a bait away from the boat and into the action.    Getting a good bait/jig away from the boat and to the fish is the key.    Spinners get a ton of crap on the CA boats but they normally calm down when they know they just got out fished.   

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Swivelhead said:

Picked up two inexpensive Shimano BG 4500 X 701MH combos for my son in laws that will be going on the 2.5 day Excalibur this weekend.  Loaded them with 50# braid and will be using fluoro leaders of appropriate weight as necessary.  Hope the drags will hold up.  Got all different weights of fluoro leader material and plenty of small hooks.  My son in laws have no experience with level winds and did not do well with them during practice.  The ability to gently toss a lively bait 50' or more is often a deal breaker.  I really want these guys to experience a wide open bite.

 

You mean Daiwa BG 4500?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×