Hey I am in the market for a new rifle scope and I know somebody who will sell me there Barska SWAT 6-24x44 for $200. I was wondering if this would be a good purchase or not? I do not know how good they are and any help would be appreciated.

Edited by younghunter

Let me change the subject now. I have done my research and that is not for me, but if anybody can steer me toward a good rifle scope for under $400 I would appreciate it. I have looked at the leupolds, and the burris and so far i am leaning toward a burris fullfield 2 4.5-14x42.

I dont know the model but Burris makes an affordable scope in that range that has the extra cross hairs. I have a friend who bought one for around 225.00 and says it is a good scope. I would also look at www.premierreticles.com and see what they charge for the lower end Leupold with the extra crosshairs. I bought the VXIII 4.5 x 14 with cross hairs out to 600 and am really pleased with this scope. It cost around 500.00 and it includes dialing the scope in for your caliber and bullet weight. Takes alot of the guess work out of hold over.......Allen....

cannot comment on their rifle scopes but I recently used a pair of Barska 10x 42 binos on my deer hunt. the quality was excellent for the money. they are a realitivly new company which uses his quality components.

I have a Burris Fullfield II 4.5-14x42 with the ballistic plex reticle. It took quite a bit of shooting at long range to get all dialed in with their system and my caliber (.300 Wby mag) but now that I have done so, I feel pretty confident shooting waaaay out there. I got mine for a little bit less than $350 if I recall. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Bret M.

I've got the Burris 4.5X14, ballistic plex on a target model .223. No kidding, I have killed prairie dogs at 400 yards! I don't know how it would hold up to magnum recoil, but it sure is nice to hit a target with the rangefinder and then blast it with no holdover. I don't think you could go wrong with this scope!

Kevin

I don't know how it would hold up to magnum recoil

In my experience the Burris has a tough time taking the recoil from 300 mag and up, in the higher powered models.

Don't overlook the VX II, it's got the same multi coat 4 coatings that just the Vari-X III had previously... and is pretty affordable. The VX I is basically what the Vari-X II used to be, and is even more affordable. If you have problems, Leupold can turn a scope around in two weeks. Burris is more like two months.

Haven't ever used the new reticles, but from what I understand they only work on one power setting... like 9 for a 4.5-14.

Leupold Gold Ring is the standard, the optics in the Burris are Comparable but I too have read a lot of comments about failure with heavy caliber recoil.

Here is a link to another option. Sightron

They offer extremely good optics and at great prices. IMHO Their Quality and warranty is as good or better than the Leupold Gold Ring's.

While I do not own one, I seriously considered and researched them prior to purchasing my Leupold VX on 3-9 x 50 on ebay. I got such a deal on the Leupold I could not pass it up! (240.00)

Look around on the net and you will only find good things about the s-2 or s-3 series. I called their office and discussed some of what I read and what I needed. and they were very accomodating and happy to discuss their features and benefits. One thing about them... they are not real easy to find in the Western states. Based in N. Caroline I think, Online or a few shops with limited selections is what I found. Bill's Trading Post in Prescott had the best selection and price in AZ. 10% over cost I think is what he offered. Even on special orders for non stock sightron items!

Give them a look See before you do the Burris or if you want an alternative to Leupold at a great price.

My.02 worth

Edited by az4life

BEWARE of cheap good quality binoculars. That is an oxymoron. I decided to try those Barska's just to see how they stacked up. Well really after using them they dont stack up, they pile up like the crap they are. I don't know if they are even good enough to let my son practice with. They don't gather alot of light and the outer molding peels off of them. so back to the fujinons I go. did not know they even made scopes, I would be wary of them. Better to spend the money and buy proven optics than have to buy new ones every year due to poor quality. AG :lol:

The company is in Southern California.

I did some investigation and here is the story. They thought the name sounded Eastern European! The glass is made in China. Two distinct manufcaturing liens from what I learned. one is very good the other sucks. Generally the better stuff is found in the big glasses. Example. I picked up a a pair of Barska 15x70's froma friend while he was using my Zeiss NVA's. The glasses were really sharp and I could not believe he paid $49 for them with the mini pod and mount. I took them to a trusted friend one of the best in the Bino business. Drop me a line if you need yoru glass fixed. Cheap fast and the best you will ever find. He took a look at these cheap glasses and confirme dthey were very good. His suggestion and comments. Barska glasses the larger stuff is generally good to very good expecially for the price. His suggestion was if you can pick up something for cheap even brand new take it to a glass man and he will nmake the minor generally subtle changes that make the glasses what they really are. OR buy a good lod scope and take it to a guy liek mine and for $50 or less that great scope will be like new again.

I can recommend the Cabela's Alaskan Guide scopes. I put 2 on my rifles this summer and they are very bright and clear. I have one on a heavy magnum and it takes the recoil witout a problem.

Right now I am thinking of saving up for the extra 6 months or so and get a Swarvski or Ziess scope or if I am to impatient I will go for either on of the burris or leupold.

Another scope that you should consider is the Zeiss Conquest. Many feel that it is brighter and sharper than the Leupold VXIII for comparable $$$. I put a conquest on my new Kimber after four Leupolds on my other rifles.