Sign in to follow this  
grey curse

Thoughts on use of point guard

1 hour ago, bigorange said:

That’s correct. I think the extreme is maybe more common...if I have 8 points (which I think I do for lope) and put in with Lance who has 22, then I suddenly have 15 pts to my credit. Maybe I should PM Lance. :D

...and which is precisely why it takes YEARS for people to "game" the system more than once.  It takes more than just max points for the person with the higher amount of points.

1 hour ago, bigorange said:

Only if it’s Unit 10. I don’t want any 80” bucks. 

Its whatever unit you want...you're buying the points and I'm turning in the tag...so I could care less

• Like 1

20 hours ago, grey curse said:

It effects draw odds, Maybe not by much but still effects it.  Also if tags are donated back to an organization “ which I think is the only way a tag should be returned” no points are used thus increasing point creep.  

Two things...

Many years ago, there was a rule where we could apply for certain tags only every three years. That meant hundreds of hunters had to sit out. By using computer models, they determined doing that had a miniscule effect on the odds of being drawn. Now I'm only guessing on this part, but I'd bet fewer than 50-75  people for ALL species will take part in letting someone piggyback on their points to get drawn. 

As to "no points are used," that's not quite true. Although the one with the most points will turn his permit in, the one with the lower point total has burned his, thus taking him down to zero (or one with loyalty) for future draws. So in effect, that helps the odds for anyone who has more than two points in the next draw he enters.  And of course, the person with the bunch of points has used up his first opportunity to turn in a permit without losing points.  And if he gets drawn again, it's more than likely he will use the permit rather than turn it in AND lose his points.

• Like 1

Is accepting money for bonus points considered profit from taking of wild game. And if so wouldnt you need a guide license to legally get away with it..

12 minutes ago, Explorer said:

Is accepting money for bonus points considered profit from taking of wild game. And if so wouldnt you need a guide license to legally get away with it..

This is direct from Title 17:

(d) Accepts compensation in any form commensurate with the market value in this state for guiding services in exchange for aiding, assisting, directing, leading or instructing a person in the field to locate and take wildlife.

• Like 4

Add one more condition to the program:

When you return your tag, you can't apply the following year for that species. You can still  buy a bonus point to maintain your loyalty status but you can't enter the draw. 

This would keep most people from being so "creative" with it and if some emergency, issue or whatever came up that was truly worthy of surrendering the tag, they don't lose all their points. Yes, there is some pain associated with it but at least you dont lose 15 years worth of application fees and points.

It would even save the people that put in for the wrong unit or whatever. A mistake that bad should cost them something anyhow. 

It will never happen but just a thought.