Sign in to follow this  
grey curse

Thoughts on use of point guard

Plenty of people abuse the process.  This happens anytime a new rule is established. If there is a will, there is a way.  I think the whole group app should have to turn their tags in if 1 guy or girl wants to.  Utah does this and this helps curb the issue at hand.   I do not fault guys for doing it, as it is legal and game and fish has made no attempt to end it.  Maybe Revenue related, maybe they do not have a problem with it.  

Using point guard because horn growth is bad I think is fine.  I do think there should be some better date restrictions on surrendering the tag, (like Utah).  Turning a tag in the week or days before the hunt starts puts the next guy in a terrible spot or the tag goes unused.  Imagine getting the call 2 days before the hunt and them saying you can burn your 15 and you get no chance to scout and you have to figure out how to get time off work.  I get that you can say no, but man that would be hard to say no to a dream tag.  

I have 22 Antelope points and will sell my points for anyone wanting to put in with me!  

I'm entertaining offers...

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, AZLance said:

I have 22 Antelope points and will sell my points for anyone wanting to put in with me!  

Pm sent 

• Like 1

That's why they're  called loopholes.  They are there for the purpose of taking advantage of.  Every big money family in the US knows every one of them. No not pertaining to hunting obviously but the idea is the same.  Even for those that "abuse" it how many times can they really do it? Maybe once every 12 years. And it's the others on the tag that benifit not really the pointholder.  Its not like they are gonna kill a monster 2 years in a row.  

I have more of a problem with 1000 yard shots and technology getting better and better with the help of escouting etc.

9 minutes ago, AZLance said:

Of course that is the one way the point holder can actually abuse it. Valid concern i guess. 

Still comes nowhere close to buying a head.  

3 hours ago, AZ8 said:

People are misunderstanding the term...."only use once".  Not technically true. Read the last sentence Delw highlighted in his response. In this case, once you draw for that species, you can start again buying point guard for the same species. The key is after you've drawn. So it's possible to keep using it for the same species.

Me, I don't have a problem wth it.  It's up to everyone's personal risk vs reward. I prefer to be conservative and keep it just in case I really need it,  i.e, break my arm 9 days before the season. 

I don't think anyone is misunderstanding. You can use pointguard once before you must keep the tag, and then you start all over. I guess we just assume everyone knows that by now, so don't bother explaining it again in detail, especially now that this topic has come up at least 100 times. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, rossislider said:

I don't think anyone is misunderstanding. You can use pointguard once before you must keep the tag, and then you start all over. I guess we just assume everyone knows that by now, so don't bother explaining it agan.  

I get that. Thank you. But If you get to start all over again, it’s not a true “one time use”. That’s all I’m saying. If the department really wants to reign this in, then every hunter gets 10 lifetime point guard opportunities. One for each big game species.

You use it, then you’re done for life regarding that species. That’s a true “one time use”. 

12 minutes ago, AZ8 said:

I get that. Thank you. But If you get to start all over again, it’s not a true “one time use”. That’s all I’m saying. If the department really wants to reign this in, then every hunter gets 10 lifetime point guard opportunities. One for each big game species.

You use it, then you’re done for life regarding that species. That’s a true “one time use”. 

I get your point, but your splitting hairs. One time use per point stockpile if you will.  

25 minutes ago, AZ8 said:

Can I use my javelina point guard for elk please?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Flatlander said:

Can I use my javelina point guard for elk please?

Not what I meant and you know it. Elk for elk; deer for deer...etc. not interchangeable.......no wonder the department laughs at us. Everything is a joke here on CWT. 

10 minutes ago, AZ8 said:

Not what I meant and you know it. Elk for elk; deer for deer...etc. not interchangeable.......no wonder the department laughs at us. Everything is a joke here on CWT. 

Jokes are funny. Didn't you see my Jeffery Dahmer post?

18 minutes ago, AZ8 said:

So is that a no?

3 hours ago, AZLance said:

The current high offer is $1800... we'll see where this goes

Thanks for the offers...keep them coming!

• Like 2