Sign in to follow this  
bomberodevil

Advice on youth rifle

I have my father’s early 60’s Remington model 721, chambered in .270.  It hasn’t been shot in years, so I’m going to clean it and shoot a few rounds of factory ammo just to make sure it shoots okay.

Providing that it’s mechanically sound, my thought is to convert it to a decent youth rifle.  It’s never been scoped, but I have a decent 3x9 I can put on it.  I reload so I can develop a good lower recoil cartridge for it.  I also am looking at the Boyd’s laminated A-1 stock, which is adjustable (I have 5 grandkids about 6 years apart).  

I thought it it would be cool to have the kids harvest an animal, deer or javelina, with the same rifle their great-grandpa used.  Is this a good idea or should I just put it in the safe and buy a new youth rifle chambered at 6.5 CM or another lighter recoil cartridge?

Thanks!

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice on the muzzle break, I know the .270s have a little higher recoil than some of the newer calibers.  I plan on keeping the original wooden stock.  The only thing I may change out is the trigger (and firing pin spring). I know the 721s were great strong action, and wildcatters like them. It will be fun to get it back into circulation.  I’ve got a Wyoming deer hunt I’m concentrating on right now, I developed two sub .5 moa loads for a  70’s Ruger 30.06. I’ll work on the .270 after October. 

I forget what powder you can use to down load the round to like 60%.    Do a search and it will come up.    I did it with the .243 and the gun still shot minute of deer and the younger kids really liked the soft recoiling gun.    With time I'll get them shooting full boat loads.   

I would lean the other way in regards to the gun.   I would probably go buy a cheaper youth gun and be done with it and keep the old gun original.   You can go either way.   If they could shoot the gun "as is" then I would have them shoot it in the field to take their animal.   If you have to modify it that much I'm not sure it has the same effect.   It would be your call.  

243 is a great choice. If you can afford a 22-250 they have practically no recoil. Hard to find the big game loads though…
My sons used both until they were larger and heavier.
My 2 cents…

2 hours ago, recurveman said:

I forget what powder you can use to down load the round to like 60%.    Do a search and it will come up.    I did it with the .243 and the gun still shot minute of deer and the younger kids really liked the soft recoiling gun.    With time I'll get them shooting full boat loads.   

I would lean the other way in regards to the gun.   I would probably go buy a cheaper youth gun and be done with it and keep the old gun original.   You can go either way.   If they could shoot the gun "as is" then I would have them shoot it in the field to take their animal.   If you have to modify it that much I'm not sure it has the same effect.   It would be your call.  

Hodgdon Trail boss you should be able to get the 270 down around 2000 fps. H 4895 is good also.

https://www.hodgdonreloading.com/reloading-education/tips-and-tricks/low-recoil-loads

On 9/3/2019 at 3:37 PM, 452b264 said:

Hodgdon Trail boss you should be able to get the 270 down around 2000 fps. H 4895 is good also.

I read the information on the H4895, basically can start at 60% powder of max load.  Supposed to reduce recoil up to 50%, without a significant energy loss under 200 yards. I’ll try that before a muzzle brake. 

• Like 1