Lance

New Nov. Archery Elk tags?

Have you heard of, or do you know of anyone who drew one of the New November Archery Elk Tags? I just haven't heard of a single one of them yet? Why aren't people talkin them up and bragging to everyone that they got one? :huh:

Lance

A friend wanted me to put in with him for the Nov archery hunt in unit 9. He thought only having 25 tags in th unit would be great. I told him he could put in by himself. I explained about it being after other hunts, if it snows, and demand for tha hunt would result in a shift from Sept archery permit numbers. We did not put in for the nov achery, but did draw the nov rifle. Hope those 25 archers don't spook the elk before our hunt ;)

A friend wanted me to put in with him for the Nov archery hunt in unit 9. He thought only having 25 tags in th unit would be great. I told him he could put in by himself. I explained about it being after other hunts, if it snows, and demand for tha hunt would result in a shift from Sept archery permit numbers. We did not put in for the nov achery, but did draw the nov rifle. Hope those 25 archers don't spook the elk before our hunt ;)

Someone on MM said he drew one with his 3rd or 4th choice. I don't recall what unit it was, though. Actually for someone with no or few bonus points who wants to hunt elk every year, those permits will be a shoo-in, at least for a while. Then when folks start seeing some decent success, they'll probably become harder to draw. -TONY

I know of 2 fellers that drew the late archery hunt. I put in for it 3rd choice no luck. As outdoor writer stated, as soon as they figure out how to get some big ones it will be high demand.

Sorry but I do not agree they will become high demand hunts.

I have been hunting or been on Nov. Archery hunts for quite a few years

and they can be good but most of the time they stink.

I have learned how to hunt these hunts and they require a TON

of scouting and work to raise your odds of success.

They are very dependent on the weather and most of the time

it is not in the hunters favor.

If you just want to go hunting and don't care so much about a wall hanger

than this will give you a chance to get out but most of the people that have

drawn a Nov. tag will say screw that after the first time they draw it.

Look at the past years Nov. hunts in the Stats.

They have good draw odds but very poor success results.

If I was just out to fill the freezer, get a chance to hunt and

did not care about burning any bonus points I would put in for

rifle cow before spending countless hours in a stand or blind

over a frozen water hole

My $.02

Someone on MM said he drew one with his 3rd or 4th choice. I don't recall what unit it was, though. Actually for someone with no or few bonus points who wants to hunt elk every year, those permits will be a shoo-in, at least for a while. Then when folks start seeing some decent success, they'll probably become harder to draw. -TONY

Tony I believe the guy who drew it for third choice was for unit 4B. I'm sure the units that are not well known for big bulls will continue to have that opportunity at a 3rd choice November hunt. Though the units known for higher quality bulls will be a tough hunt, I doubt any of them went past the first two choices. We'll have to wait and see once the stats come out.

Maybe someone will invent a sure-fire salt block elk can't resist any time of year, eh? ;) -TONY

If that was all it took than yes they WOULD

Be a tag in high demand.

Know of 3 drawn, all in different units. It won't be easy! I hope they don't start taking away September tags to add them to the November tags like most of the December coues hunts are shifting!

Know of 3 drawn, all in different units. It won't be easy! I hope they don't start taking away September tags to add them to the November tags like most of the December coues hunts are shifting!

That would be that opportunity thing we keep hearing about, 20 september tags equal 200 november tags, quantity over quality.

Ive had a few of the late archery tags in 22. And in a word they are TOUGH. But I know a few guys who love that hunt and have killed some very nice bulls on it. My long time hunting partner has a late archery tag in 23 this year.

That is exactly what they want to do. they don't hide the fact either.

It appears all you guys who wanted to get a leftover elk permit for those terrible NOV. archery hunts are SOL. :lol:

Here's the list of leftover first-come permits available:

Arizona Game and Fish Department

2008 Antelope and Elk First Come Left-over Permits

Updated April 14,2008

Applications accepted by U.S. Mail only beginning at 8 a.m. (MST) on April 14, 2008. For additional information visit www.azgfd.gov/draw

Limited Opportunity (General) Antlerless Elk

Hunt No. Number of Permits Unit

3072 20 2A AND 2B

3073 11 2A AND 2B

3084 24 Martinez Hunt Area in Unit 27

3085 3 27 SOUTH

3087 5 28, 31, AND 32

3088 6 28, 31, AND 32

Archery Only Antlerless Elk

3176 8 SEE HUNT REGULATIONS

We got 3 Sept. tags and 3 Nov. tags all unit 8 the Nov tags were 3rd choices on all of our applications. I am glad mine is in Sept. but I will on the Nov. hunt as well.

I drew a Nov archery tag for 7W 1st choice.......by mistake. :o Someone used the wrong hunt #, it was supposed to have been the Sept 7W hunt. :angry: There went my 8 bonus points :( . This is my first time applying for an archery elk hunt. We're going to make the best out of it. ;)

CouesTracker