Schmitty

"Quiet" boot covers

Thought that I'd ask around here and see what everytody thinks about all of the different boot covers on the market.

Do they work? Do they Last? Who makes the best pair? Are they worth the $?

I've slipped out of my boots into my socks to seal the deal in the past and while it works, it sure sucks when you blow the stalk and your feet are wet/muddy, etc. for the rest of the day.

Please share any or all opinions. BTW, I wear a 14 and it looks as though most are only made up to fit a size 13.

thanks,

Schmitty

I've thought about picking up a pair of those at sportsmans warehouse. My girlfriend and I made a stalk this past january on some deer, took off our boots, and snuck approx. 250yds in our socks to within about 25 yds of the deer when they spooked. After wallking all the way back to our shoes, and full of thorns, stickers and rocks, my girlfriend made the suggestion of getting some moccasins. I couldn't believe I hadn't thought about that before. I think we're gonna try that this year. ;)

i've had some success just getting some big, thick socks and putting them over my boots. but at a size 14 you might have trouble getting socks big enough.

Make some out of carpet and straps, and just slip them over your boots. Could even use the carpet pad to make them quieter.

Before I even saw your response, that is EXACTLY what I had in mind!

Make some out of carpet and straps, and just slip them over your boots. Could even use the carpet pad to make them quieter.

Before I even saw your response, that is EXACTLY what I had in mind!

+1

Its more fun when you DIY anyway...

I have a set that I have used for 3 years in SE AZ in the lava rock down here. They are durable and cheap. They are as quiet as the $30 boot covers from outdoor stores and last 10 times longer. I ended up buying my first pair of boot covers from a catalog, with shipping cost me somewhere around $35 and they lasted one long stalk. The bottoms ripped in the rock out here and the stuffing came out. These particular ones were made from thin materials. The ones I made have been through a lot and are still good, and cost me about $5 to make (cost of straps).

I have made many boot covers over the years i have experimented with everything and the bottom line is bootless with a couple pair of socks is the best way to go. Watch out for cactus. The commercial ones have significant draw backs. The Baers feet model does mute the noise, but by no means makes you silent so you end up walking as slowly as before and they will pick up vegetation and come off your feet. The felt kind that look like teva sandals are practically worthless in southern Arizona. They immediately pick up vegetation and actually become louder then boots in a short distance and you will never get the burrs out. The best homemade ones were as follows: Three 1/2 inch carpet pads glued together. Sewn tightly in rough cotton material to help keep the carpet pad together. Used this as an insert into a fur boot that was made very similar to the Baers feet, but I used a much denser fake fur that i found in a used fabric store. The fake fur was the secret I believe to the sound dampening. I only found it once and only enough for two boots. On flat ground I could walk nearly silent over rocky terrain. It was completely silent on sandy ground like king anvil. Walking on steep terrain was an adventure that was hard on the ankle due to zero traction. I had the fur feet for three hard seasons and never wore a hole in them. I lost one in a cat claw jungle by Elephant Head and miss it to this day. Now I take off my boots and wear bedroom slippers. I find that if you walk slow enough and have wind in your favor you don't have to shed your boots until your within 125 yards.

Bob

ps Galiuro mountain man can you post a picture of your set up. They seem to be in my price range. plus i know about that rock. I shredded brand new Bfs on a four day hunt in 32. I know road hunter.

The best thing that I have found for sneaking are a pair water socks that slip onto your feet and then a pair of the heaviest wool or cotton socks you can find over the water socks. The water socks have a thin soft rubber sole (dang near a bare foot) that keep the thorns out. This set up works as good as bare feet and when you blow the stock it doesn't hurt as bad getting back to your boots. ;)

After wallking all the way back to our shoes, and full of thorns, stickers and rocks, my girlfriend made the suggestion of getting some moccasins. I couldn't believe I hadn't thought about that before. I think we're gonna try that this year. ;)

After going through a couple of stocking-foot stalks in the desert, I religiously began packing a pair of SOFT-SOLED moccasins in my fannypack many years ago. They squish down pretty well and take up little room. -TONY

I don't know about you, but walking in stocking feet amongst cholla, catclaw, and other spiny vegetation isn't my idea of a good time. :o

For $30, you can get these felt sneakers that attach to the bottom of your boots:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/template...+&noImage=0

KP

I have not had good experience with the felt ones but the baers feet booties have worked okay for me. Stocking feet is still quieter but as mentioned before you risk cactus and thorns and then you still have to walk back to your boots. My brother did that in high school and after a missed shot never found his boots and walked back to his quad almost a mile away with bloody feet. I am also a size 14, I usually hunt in day hikers, not mountain boots, but I found a pair of XXL baers feet at SW that fit over them.

I use the baers feet, but usually have to replace them every season. I have also done the thick socks too. I think they are equally quiet. I do think the socks are more effective because you have to go so dang slow, and carefully place each step. This season I am going to try and make my own. I want to start with a pair of mocosains(sp) then put a layer of foam on the bottom. Then cover that with fabric, something similar to what stuffed animals are made out of. I have been looking for a while, but baven't found any that was up to par. Although, I have yet to look in a fabric or artsy-fartsy store.

"Then cover that with fabric, something similar to what stuffed animals are made out of."

You could just buy a big stuffed animal and skin him out. Heck, you could even take him out in the yard and stick an arrow in him just for fun. Then hang him in a tree and skin him. That'll freak the neighbors out.

Now thats funny!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'll have to try that, just to see what happens...... :ph34r:

You could just buy a big stuffed animal and skin him out. Heck, you could even take him out in the yard and stick an arrow in him just for fun. Then hang him in a tree and skin him. That'll freak the neighbors out.