Sign in to follow this  
Outdoor Writer

Nov. 29 Current Road Closures

These were closed as of this morning:

SR 87 closed from Payson to Winslow.
SR 89 closed from Drake to Ash Fork. 
SR 89A closed from Sedona to the I-17 junction. 
SR 260 closed from Camp Verde to SR 87.
SR 66 closed from Kingman to 20 miles west of Seligman.
I-17 northbound closed from SR 179 junction to Flagstaff.
I-40 closed from US 93 junction to Winslow.

What a mess.  There is a guy on here stuck looking for help in u it 10 if anyone reads this. See his post

51 minutes ago, Tradman said:

Sitting here at the rest area north of camp verde waiting to get to 5b. Roads dont look bad at all.

I am thinking ADOT is using the California model of snow closures. Any snow means shut it down. None of the ADOT cameras look like the roads are that bad. 

They probably just don't want to deal with the wreck cleanup from idiots. 

42 minutes ago, Hoss50 said:

I am thinking ADOT is using the California model of snow closures. Any snow means shut it down. None of the ADOT cameras look like the roads are that bad. 

They probably just don't want to deal with the wreck cleanup from idiots. 

It's likely to get a lot worst. A huge front went through PHX early this morning, so it's likely north by now.

Years ago, it was very rare that a highway would be completely closed. The first restriction was chains or 4 wheel drive required. Or closed to big rigs. There are just too many clueless people out who cause too many accidents and slide off the road. Three years ago, took my daughter 6 hours to drive back to NAU after Thanksgiving- every few miles someone was in the ditch.

• Like 1

This is the reason I don’t put in for late hunts.  Too many times I’ve heard friends talk about 2’+ of snow in unit 27 or 8 and the hunt is pretty much done.  It’s a matter of getting back after that.  Some have even had to leave their vehicles and campers and come back hoping the snowmobilers didn’t loot them.  Add to that the frustration of closed roads getting home or even to hunting country, it’s almost hopeless.  My cutoff is the first week in November up high.

My father-in-law told a story many times of a brand new Ford Falcon that got stuck in a unit 27 late elk hunt back in the 1960's.  He recommended a hot spot for a late elk hunt and a big snow storm stranded the vehicle until it could be recovered in the springtime. Needless to say ...............he never received a Christmas card from the car owner after that "hot" recommendation where to hunt!

I need to start renting snowmobiles for 1k a week during late elk hunts.