Sign in to follow this  
BusterAZ

HAM Hunting

Those that hunt with a handgun, what ammo do you use? I will be using a 357 Revolver with a 6 in barrel this upcoming season and was looking for recommendations on which grain size to use. Also, any belt/pack holster recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

49 minutes ago, PRDATR said:

You will get a bunch of answers. I have used 125gr HP's I loaded which after doing so I would opt for 158's.

Thanks for the advice!

Anything you are accurate with. I've seen javis shot with wadcutters, hollow points and everything in between. I think I'm more accurate at 40 yds. with my bow than my handgun. I like a shoulder holster for 6 inch plus guns. Too much weight on the hips makes for a shorter day.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DUG said:

Anything you are accurate with. I've seen javis shot with wadcutters, hollow points and everything in between. I think I'm more accurate at 40 yds. with my bow than my handgun. I like a shoulder holster for 6 inch plus guns. Too much weight on the hips makes for a shorter day.

This makes sense. I actually want to mount the gun to the waist belt of a pack.

I've used barnes 140 gr xpb bullets out of my 357 for the last couple ham tags I've had.  I reload but federal and barnes both make factory ammo with the 140 xpb.

• Like 2

Not a 357 Mag, but I used to hunt them with a 38 Spl. I was usually able to get within 30 yards of the herd, and at that range it was plenty to put one down. My favorite bullet was the Sierra 140 gr HP, but factory 125's and 130's did fine too at those short ranges. If you choose a holster for your belt make sure that it sits below the lumbar belt on your pack (if your pack has one). They're lots of fun with a revolver. Here's one from several years ago

IMG_0385.thumb.JPG.17db3b60c43a2173993cb0cd6e90e59c.JPG

• Like 3

Have had luck with 357 158g Speer gold dots. 45acp 230g hydroshocks and 180xtp. And 44mag 240xtp and 300lazer cast 

my first two w a .357 were with black talon 158gr-1 at 5 ft the other at about 30yds.  they both lived longer than the next half-dozen shot w copper swc 158gr.  no big deal just hit your target dirty harry.  always wanted to kill a boar w my 3" .44 Special but quit hunting them when i moved up on the mountain.

lee

• Like 1