Sign in to follow this  
Ringer

Apache

On 12/9/2019 at 11:27 AM, Ringer said:

Terrible! Went down to the lake Saturday to try it out since the fish kill. Was hoping to get a few bites. Only one other boat on the entire lake. Fished ten of our best spots and got only one bite and zero fish. I scoped a few fish but very few. Saw a couple of small crappie flipping. I think it will be a while before that lake is fishable again. Sad to see the marina closed up. I hope G&F are stocking the lake and it comes back soon.

Right on, you bit the bullet and took one for the team. I got 2 more hunts and them I'm going to take a peek for myself. My favorite lake by far. You know.

The golden algea kill happened about 10+ years ago. only heard of one fish kill since. however fishing has been good an bad its pretty wierd.

I havent heard of any smallies coming off that lake since the 1st kill. Matter of fact when I was help with the gill net survey there was absolutely NO smallies taken. and in electro fishing a few year classes were non existent.  fishing was always good for smallies in nov-jan no matter how cold or hot it was since the 80s. after the fish kill in 2000 something you were lucky to see one.

I put t the results on the old azbasszone website Years ago if its still up and running. and a few survey results after that.

In 2017 we caught some big smallies out of Apache 3-5lb range.  They were in there and tended to be in certain spots.  Also episodes of Johnny Johnson catching smallies there within the last few years.   

I have some printed photos that would shock you guys, me and my wife used to slam 5 lb large mouth left and right about five years ago. A few years before that we caught mostly smallies and in a few tournaments before that it was all largemouth so go figure 

Mark- my favorite too. The quail are everywhere and was wishing we had the shotguns. Let us know how you do and what you catch them on. It was really cool to be one of only two boats on the lake. Have fun. Next trip for me will be to Roosevelt.

Go to Powell. The walleye there are nice size and there is no limit. I caught a dozen last trip on my Texas rig power worms when I was bass fishing. Good eating.

• Wow! 1

6 minutes ago, Ringer said:

Go to Powell. The walleye there are nice size and there is no limit. I caught a dozen last trip on my Texas rig power worms when I was bass fishing. Good eating.

In wahweap?

We run from Wahweap up to Rock Creek and Last Chance bays. Long run but at 70mph not so bad. Tons of smallies, largemouth, stripers and plenty of walleye.

On 12/9/2019 at 3:58 PM, Ringer said:

It was cold but not one bite or fish on the screen. The tournament at Roosevelt was won Saturday with 13.4 pounds and the top 27 boats all had a 5 bass limit. I think that Apache is a waste of time but have at it.

Are the fish deep or shallow at rosey?

1 hour ago, Green Bullet said:

Are the fish deep or shallow at rosey?

Both.

On 12/9/2019 at 11:27 AM, Ringer said:

Terrible! Went down to the lake Saturday to try it out since the fish kill. Was hoping to get a few bites. Only one other boat on the entire lake. Fished ten of our best spots and got only one bite and zero fish. I scoped a few fish but very few. Saw a couple of small crappie flipping. I think it will be a while before that lake is fishable again. Sad to see the marina closed up. I hope G&F are stocking the lake and it comes back soon.

Right on, you bit the bullet and took one for the team. I got 2 more hunts and them I'm going to take a peek for myself. My favorite lake by far. You know.