WhtMtnHunter

What requirements to be considered a HAM pistol?

45 minutes ago, 520HUNT said:

So if you're buying a used AR Pistol, how do you know if it's legal?  Is there a way to research what the original 4473 listed the gun as?

Never bought one, don’t know.

34 minutes ago, HuntHarder said:

Same way dont know if that gun has been used in a crime.  Chance you take

Good info... I was going to buy a AR pistol from a local gun shop but now I'm not taking that chance!

I've become a huge fan of Pistol AR's.  I'm planning on buying this one soon.

Screenshot_20200216-200614_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1

15 minutes ago, 520HUNT said:

Good info... I was going to buy a AR pistol from a local gun shop but now I'm not taking that chance!

Any gun bought from an ffl will be 100% legit.  When they purchase used firearms, they have to hold that gun for , I believe it is still, 30 days to confirm it is not stolen or has not been reported to be used in a crime.  The whole pistol vs. rifle debate on AR lower's would fall onto the FFL if he were purchasing the gun for resale.  It would be on him to due his due dilligence to determine the legality of the firearm he intends to sell.  

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, 520HUNT said:

So a FFL can determine what the gun was first recorded as, pistol, other, or rifle?

The FFL can issue the lower as a lower and not specify pistol or rifle or short rifle.  You build it.  After that, it is not allowed to change.  How ATF is supposed to tell is a big question in my mind.

If an FFL decides to purchase a firearm for the purpose of reselling it, the responsibility would fall onto them to ensure it's legalities and also how they represent it.  I am not sure if they are able to, with 100% certainty, determine what exactly the lower was classified as originally.  This really comes back to the whole bill of sale to expunge you of any liability in purchasing a used firearm.  The law does not require you to investigate your purchase, but it does require you to not knowing violate the law.  A bill of sale with the word pistol on it would suffice just fine to prove your innocence or ignorance.