Sign in to follow this  
CouesWhitetail

Fun with Trail Cam Pics and Video!

Hi All,

I have a friend who has a cabin on mt lemmon and he isn't a hunter but has been putting salt out for deer for years so he can enjoy watching them. He had never heard of a trail camera, so when I told him about them he got interested and asked me to put up a camera. So I did and got lots of pic and video from Aug to mid-Oct. Just for fun I strung the images and video together, sped them up and set them to music.

here is the link to a short version that I posted recently in another thread. This one covers four days at the salt lick. It contains 182 images.

http://www.coueswhitetail.com/video_clips/...nian_market.wmv

and then Gamehauler said he liked that one but it was too short, so I went back and added in what I had from Aug to Oct.

It's fun stuff. One doe has twins initially, but shows up later with only one. There are several bucks and you can see them after they freshly shed their velvet. You can also see that the deer eat the dirt by the salt, but also directly lick the salt block. Lots of times I hear people say the deer will never lick the salt directly. Guess this shows otherwise. Also, you will see that the squirrels and band-tailed pigeons seem to like the salt also. Interesting stuff. You can also see about 3/4 of the way through that film that we put out a mineral block and the deer completely ignore it in favor of the plain salt. Not sure if it's just because it was new or if they really prefer the other block.

This is the long version, which contains 415 images/video clips all strung together and sped up.

http://www.coueswhitetail.com/video_clips/mt_lemmon_3.wmv

Enjoy!

Amanda

Thanks Amanda, that was pretty neat!

How much corn did they put out besides that salt block over the year?

It is interesting that the mineral block was left alone and the salt block was what they kept going after.

cmc

They didn't put out much corn. Their grandson bought them a bunch after they saw some turkeys near their cabin (the newly reintroduced turkeys on mt lemmon). So the idea was to maybe help the turkeys and try and get some photos of their poults, but in the beginning of the video you can see the couple handfuls of corn got eaten up by the squirrels and birds very fast. No time for turkeys to even find it. So they stopped putting the corn out.

Amanda

They didn't put out much corn. Their grandson bought them a bunch after they saw some turkeys near their cabin (the newly reintroduced turkeys on mt lemmon). So the idea was to maybe help the turkeys and try and get some photos of their poults, but in the beginning of the video you can see the couple handfuls of corn got eaten up by the squirrels and birds very fast. No time for turkeys to even find it. So they stopped putting the corn out.

Amanda

THANK YOU AMANDA ;)

I enjoyed it.

I have tried corn and the Blue Jays and Squirrels get it

before anything else has a chance and all they do is drive

you nuts while in the stand.

Did you use Photo Bucket or your program to put that together??

;)

Thanks, Amanda!! Both were very cool! I even managed to pause on a couple of the buck pics.... I bet they enjoy the heck out of all the critters they have in their yard up there! ;)

Amanda, after putting in a 13 hour day it was refreshing coming home to watch your video while sipping on a cold margarita. Thanks! :)

TJ

Thanks Amanda! That was great! Where do you find all your music? :blink:

Lance

Those two peices came with the video editing software. The software has a ton of music styles to select from. But usually I use music from www.incompetech.com (Kevin MacLeod). He does some great stuff and allows free use of it if you don't use it for something you sell.

Fitting the music to the video is lots of fun, but very time consuming to find what works.

Amanda

Glad you guys are enjoying these.

Can't believe nobody has mentioned the squirrels having sex on video. I think it's around 1:13 of the longer video.

I also found it really interesting to learn that Band-tailed pigeons use salt. I never knew that before putting this trail cam up. But if you do a search for band-tailed pigeons and mineral licks you can find out that many states find the best way to survey for these birds is to find a natural or manmade mineral lick and count the birds there.

Amanda