Sign in to follow this  
liv4coues

Bipod

I bought a new rifle in the off season. After some deplorable shooting last year, I figure I should add a bipod to the rifle set up this year (although what I really need is some serious time on the range). I'm leaning toward buying a sitting Snipe Pod. Any input would be appreciated.

I bought one of those a couple years ago and ended up giving it away. I found it too hard to use without having the rifle moving every which way while I was setting up. When I shoot with a bi-pod I push into the bi-pod to preload it, reducing the bounce. With those I found it hard to preload correctly with out it moving all over the place. I can see how a setup like that could be useful with all it's ball joints and springs allowing you to track your target, but in order to take advantage of all of it's movement your target would have to be under 100 yards and walking. While shooting Coues at 200 or 300 yards all you need would be a couple inches at the most to cover a ton of country. I now use Harris bi-pods for most of my rifles now.

Yep. Harris. I have the ( I believe it is) 13"-25" all though 13 inches can be a little high for shooting laying down, and 25" is a little short for sitting, it works the best for me from what I have found.

Also, invest in the swivel model.

Thanks for the quick replies. I was afraid the Harris might add too much weight to the gun, but the additional weight would be better than having a less effective bipod.

I also use the Harris. I killed a bedded coues at 404 yards with it from the sitting position. I wouldn't recomend it for shots longer than that.

I have both the sitting and standing versions of the Snipepod and used them exclusively in Africa, New Zealand and couple NA hunts since I've owned them. Although they are not as sturdy as the much heavier Harris types, the ball joints make them a lot more versatile for getting setup in about any type of terrain at almost any angle.

Plus, they are very lightweight to carry in their belt pouches. After a bit of practice, it takes less than 10-15 seconds to attach it to the gun.

And if you do decide to go with a Harris, I have an almost-new used one available. ;) -TONY

I recommend the Harris 9-13" Swivel. Casey is right that the 13-25 is too tall for prone. With the 9-13" you can shoot prone very comfortably, and still raise it up to 13" to get over most grass and whatnot. I practice out to 700 yards with mine and have been able to shoot 1/2 moa at that distance under field conditions (on a really good day.) If i need to shoot sitting for whatever reason, i use my tripod with a rear support. My 2 pennies anyway ;) .

I have the Harris 9-13" swivel model and use it almost exactly the same as CouesSniper. I've use it for years now and love it, highly recommended and very accurate.

For me (6'3) the 9-13" isnt tall enough to see over anything when laying down, and not anywhere near tall enough to shoot sitting up so thats why I prefer the larger one.

If I need to shoot sitting, I like to shoot with my backpack as my rear support.

Before I went to Namibia in 2006, I bought a Stoney Point Polecat. I had tried home-made shooting sticks, but they didn't work very well in practice. I practiced with the Polecat and became comfortable with it. In Namibia, my PH had a similar setup, but he had stretched a piece of inner tube across the tips to rest the forearm on(secured at the ends with wire wraps). I shot all my game with that setup, all but one from a standing position.

When I came home, I experimented with several variations of the inner tube on my Polecat and finally settled on a one-inch thick piece of dense, closed cell foam taped to the "V" where the rifle's forearm rests. Since then, I have taken two elk and one whitetail with my Polecat--all from a sitting position. I set the legs about the length of a hiking staff and use it to aid in walking and climbing (with the legs collapsed adjacent to one another, and held with a clip). If I were you, I would look into it--it's a lot lighter than a bipod and gives you a lot more options in terms of sitting, kneeling and standing shots, especially if you have to shoot at an angle from a steep hillside. But, you have to practice with it prior to hunting to be able to quickly get set up in the field...

I've got the same Harris bipod as Casey and it works very well. I'm pretty tall, so I 've got no problems shooting prone with it. I also find it a tad short for sitting, especially on a hillside, but I make it work. Sitting isn't nearly as steady as prone, but I can consistently hit P-dogs at 250 while sitting w/ the bipod. Out past that, it gets a bit shaky on such a small target for me. Prone w/ a bipod is almost as steady as shooting off a bench w/ the right technique. I'd highly recommend one to improve your shooting.

Good luck,

Schmitty

What I have found works well... If you can support your right elbow (or whatever arm is connected to the trigger finger) it makes it easier to stay steady.

I was shooting with Larry, Scoutm out to 510 and I was able to bust the rock consistently with my elbow supported by my ammo box.

I always just throw my pack on the ground and shoot off of it or use a branch or somethin. (my rifle is heavy enuff without a bipod)

I use a shooting stick--it works ok, but my preference has always been to drop to my right knee and rest my left elbow on the thigh of my left leg.

It is all about whatever you are comfortable with.

BOB