Gut Pile

Shoot or Don't Shoot? Sportsmanship

I looked around to see if this has been discussed in the past, didn't find it. If it has been talked about, sorry for the repeat. I had a conversation with my Dad a while back about this and want to hear opinions. Most of us at one point have heard hounds sounding off in a canyon or mountain while out hunting. They sound like they're right by you, of course they could still be miles from you. They get louder and louder. I've never been on a hound hunt, but that has to be one of the most exciting hunts. Hearing those dogs & knowing in front of them is what you're after! The anticipation and excitement growing! I will go on a hound hunt at some point for sure. I also think it's a great way to be selective on animals to harvest, allowing time to determine age, and sex etc. Here's the question; you're out hunting and hounds sound off coming closer & closer. You've got your bear or lion tag in pocket. Bear or lion shows up in front of you. Do you shoot? We know bear or lion opportunities can be sparse for many. I feel like it we would be success behind somebody else's hard work in a way. My Dad pointed out that luck shows up in many ways too. Sometimes a buck walks out at the last hour of the last day of your hunt for no reason at all, or a bear or lion just happens to be run right to you. The "X” factor of hunting, being at the right place at the right time. Would you feel it could take away from the accomplishment? Has anyone had an experience or situation like this? Hound hunters please share your thoughts. 

19 minutes ago, AZBIG10 said:

You ever got into a fist fight with a houndsman? Lol

what are you implying?  Do houndsman own the lion/bear when they start tracking it?  I cant seem to find that in the game and fish laws...could you please help me and show me where that is listed?  thanks

As far ahead as a lion or bear can be when they are being followed, if I glass a lion up moving across a hillside across me and I heard dogs at some point that day, I’m still shooting the lion.  I’ve glassed up deer and elk that are sneaking out from an area where dogs are being run, I’m guessing that happens all the time with other lions or bears that aren’t being trailed.   

• Like 4

if you have never been behind hounds there is one element to it that isn’t that obvious. The pace is hectic but there is no rush if that makes sense.. If you want a go at the animal being pursued I would talk with the guys with the dogs. They may not be interested in harvesting if it is in fact a female lion or sow. May work out for everyone. 

Are houndsmen good fist fighters?  I thought they were just guys that run dogs.  The fact that some guys think hounds dropped, means that any animal within 5-10 miles of them is theirs is absurd.  I have followed behind hounds multiple times and understand the pace.  I also understand the chance you take when you drop those dogs and they cover 5 miles fairly quickly.  No different than bumping a deer over a ridge and he gets shot by another deer hunter.  Just because I saw you parked 3 miles away and a deer comes running toward me from your direction, doesn't mean I am going to give it a pass.

Different story if they have an animal treed and you go shoot said animal before the guys get there.  

• Like 11

3 minutes ago, HuntHarder said:

Are houndsmen good fist fighters?  I thought they were just guys that run dogs.  The fact that some guys think hounds dropped, means that any animal within 5-10 miles of them is theirs is absurd.  I have followed behind hounds multiple times and understand the pace.  I also understand the chance you take when you drop those dogs and they cover 5 miles fairly quickly.  No different than bumping a deer over a ridge and he gets shot by another deer hunter.  Just because I saw you parked 3 miles away and a deer comes running toward me from your direction, doesn't mean I am going to give it a pass.

Different story if they have an animal treed and you go shoot said animal before the guys get there.  

Agreed.

• Like 1

Interesting. Great response. Guess I really didn't consider the " Hunter bumps a deer over hill to another Hunter" analogy and perspective.

5 hours ago, AZBIG10 said:

Negative they don’t own it. But would you go run the PF Chang’s marathon and start 200 yds from the finish line?

Best quote of 2020... so far. Ed F

• Like 1