Sign in to follow this  
AZ8

State Trust land and OHV.....I never knew

Let me preface that I’m usually pretty good about rules and regulations regarding anything outdoors: Hunting, fishing, OHV recreation, camping.....etc. My buddies say I’m anal and over research! Lol 

Anyways, didn't feel like driving far this morning, so I hit some State Trust land close to home. Jump in the side by side and head out with my favorite coyote gun in tote. 

Heading west along a trail, I notice a housing development 1+ mile away. Eventually I crest a small hill and see this sign right in front of me. I read it and realize the residents erected it. I called BS and laughed thinking they just made up some BS sign to keep people away. So, curiously I pull out my rangefinder and sure enough, I’m under this apparent “1/4 mile rule”. I shake my head, laugh and turn the side by side around and leave. 

When I got home I researched this “rule”.  Sure enough, it’s real! lol 👮‍♂️

https://land.az.gov/recreational-permit-terms-and-conditions

Bet this rule has been broken thousands of times! haha 

So, watch for houses if you’re cruising State Trust land! 

4FE01F9E-7831-4BAC-A6D9-3A26B2205D12.jpeg

Oh wow I didnt know that either.  but it say it has to be closed by the State land Commissioner.

and to top it that could include motor homes, Jeeps etc I didnt see a definition of Recreational Vehicles

6. Recreational motorized vehicles shall not be operated within ¼ mile of any building (occupied or not), paved surfaces (roadways, etc.), or stock tanks (wet or dry), or within any area Closed by the State Land Commissioner.

• Like 2

It was probably put in place due to the obnoxiousness of kids on four-wheelers and side by sides. I wouldn't want to listen to that crap all day.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Delw said:

Oh wow I didnt know that either.  but it say it has to be closed by the State land Commissioner.

and to top it that could include motor homes, Jeeps etc I didnt see a definition of Recreational Vehicles

I thought that too, but by definition, all State Trust land is closed unless you have a permit or a valid hunting license.  Bet it would be an interesting court case watching each lawyer define “closed”! lol 

23 minutes ago, Delw said:

Did more research and I think you’re right! That rule doesn’t apply to where I was this morning as it was open to recreation.  I think I’m going to make a sign saying they left out a very important sentence and this trail is totally legal! lmao

Why would some State Trust land be closed for access?

Lands leased for agriculture, mining, commercial, or military purposes are not open to recreational use. Other Trust lands may be closed to some or all recreational uses due to hazardous conditions, dust abatement, in coordination with the Arizona Game & Fish Department, or based on certain State, County or Local laws or ordinances.

Not enough officers to ticket violators, so most offenders are recreationalist without proper permitting.

Your hunting license grants that permit, ie, rabbit, yote hunting....i carry mine.

46 minutes ago, wildwoody said:

Isn't our ohv sticker or permit.

still need a hunting license or state land permit($15).

• Like 1

Gotcha, and is an example table Mesa area past new river?

Curious what hunt unit u were in?

24B

its only illegal if you get caught

Love,

Nobull