Sign in to follow this  
Coues7777

Looking to buy a youth hunting rifle

I have my son's Remington 783 in 308.  3x9 scope.  3 magazines.  He killed his first deer with it using the hornandy youth loads (125g).  It is up in Idaho.  I come down to the valley to work in Sells, AZ every month.  I could have it down there in a few weeks if interested.  $400.  He has outgrown it and is ready for a Tikka 30-06.

2 Years old.  About 200 rnds through it.

Mika

I am a big believer in the 7mm-08.  Both boys had one as a starter.  Big enough for deer and elk (at the right distance).  Good ballistics.  I know LARK hated them … but I am a fan.  Buddy of mine has a custom 7-08 he shoots WAAAAAAY far.

11 minutes ago, sjvcon said:

I am a big believer in the 7mm-08.  Both boys had one as a starter.  Big enough for deer and elk (at the right distance).  Good ballistics.  I know LARK hated them … but I am a fan.  Buddy of mine has a custom 7-08 he shoots WAAAAAAY far.

is this till an issue?  i had thought all the 7mm/zero shooters had grown up into .270's and .280's.

lee

33 minutes ago, biglakejake said:

is this till an issue?  i had thought all the 7mm/zero shooters had grown up into .270's and .280's.

lee

Mine did.  Have one in a 280 Ackley and another in a 270 WSM.  But as a youth gun it is a good little rig, and was perfect for them to start on at 9 years old.  My buddy just wanted a light, short little Coues gun … he did his research and settled on that caliber, for what reason I can't say.  Some B!tc# will shoot though … 

If you find a 700 in the right caliber, CDNN has youth stocks for $40.

Saw an 700 SPS in 6.5 CDM on Armlist this AM.

Ruger American Compact  7mm-08  Hornady reduced recoil ammo