couesdeerhntr

I declined a goulds tag that was surrendered

I have been hoping to get a call like that. I figured with everything going on there would be a few Gould's tags turned back in. Unfortunately someone else had a better draw number and got the call before me in the unit I put in for. Hopefully I get the bonus pass tag next year.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, muledeerarea33? said:

You would of more than likely killed and had fun but I think you made the right choice. Sometimes spur of the moment excitement is what life’s about! I’m not that guy. I prefer plans and being prepared. But again, quick decisions are what the grandkids hear about. You made the right choice. How was the tag turned in if the hunt already had it’s first half? So a guy can hunt the first part, not kill and turn it in? 

I think someone else maybe more must of declined the tag as well. That is the only thing I can think of. I had from may 6th when she called me tell the following day at 10 am to take tag or she was moving on.

Someone took the tag! He is going down this weekend with a guide. Lucky SOB.

• Like 1

tough choice.  lots of turkeys in that unit.  I guess it also depends on where you live?  the hunt last 2 - 3 more weeks.  most guys harvest in the first weekend so very little pressure the rest of the hunt.  you never know what could happen tomorrow.

• Like 1

I got a call from G&F lady last Monday asking if I wanted to burn up my 19pt for unit 31 so I said heck ya. Little did I know is that the forest is closed down on Mt Graham April 8-June 30th do to covid-19. Haha would of been nice to know before I took tag. Good thing my uncle knows a few areas. Found birds night before and called one in first light next morning. 19pt was over in 30 mins. Thanks Billy!!

IMG_4819.jpg

IMG_4823.jpg

• Like 15

I would have took it in heartbeat. Very Easy unit to hunt the Birds come to You like we all like. I was done in 1 day 3 years ago and had never stepped a foot in that unit. But I was an accomplished turkey hunter of 27 years at the time. Maybe He wasn't. Hope You get your tag soon............BOB!

So here’s a question, if you turn a tag in using the point protection during the hunt, do you keep your points if you are the one turning the tag in?

• Like 1

I didn’t turn down the tag due to me thinking I wouldn’t shoot a bird.  I turned it down due to me not actually getting to experience the full hunt.  I wanted to scout, find birds, and have some fun calling to them.  I also wanted to take the wife and drink some good wine down there.  With me not being able to get the full time off from work and have others to enjoy it with, it just wasn’t right for me. Turkey is what got me started in hunting and I have always looked forward to one day getting this tag, but not like that.  My time will come and I will enjoy it as much as I can with calling and just seeing what those birds will do.

• Like 5

Good Choice , I was over 60 at the time and drew with 11 points. You look a lot younger. And have lottsa points.  I had a guy from this site tell me right where to go. He had the first hunt and was Greatfully helpfull. Thats what made mine so simple..Good Luck............BOB!

4 hours ago, Vowell said:

So here’s a question, if you turn a tag in using the point protection during the hunt, do you keep your points if you are the one turning the tag in?

That's a good question.  I thought you had to turn your tag in before the hunt started in order to keep your points.  I know some guys have turned tags in after the season has started for one reason or another but I just figured they forfeited their points.

7 minutes ago, knothead said:

That's a good question.  I thought you had to turn your tag in before the hunt started in order to keep your points.  I know some guys have turned tags in after the season has started for one reason or another but I just figured they forfeited their points.

I questioned that earlier. Since this hunt has two start dates, can it be turned in before the second start date but after the first? 

On 5/11/2020 at 9:56 PM, muledeerarea33? said:

I questioned that earlier. Since this hunt has two start dates, can it be turned in before the second start date but after the first? 

Exactly, sounds a little fishy. But technically the hunt already started, so you should just eat tag soup. Just my opinion though. 

• Like 1

someone else must of declined the surrendered tag as well maybe two people. The tag was turned in before the hunt started just took that long to make it to me for the call from game and fish.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, couesdeerhntr said:

someone else must of declined the surrendered tag as well maybe two people. The tag was turned in before the hunt started just took that long to make it to me for the call from game and fish.

Well I agree with you with not taking the tag! It’s all about the experience going and able to plan for a fun trip. You will get that tag soon, I’m hoping go get one soon as well!