MULEPACKHUNTER

First Aid Kit

After a recent backpack trip that had a couple of injuries I realized I was a little short on my med kit both at the truck and in the pack. A partner took a fall at night and was bleeding pretty good, I was impressed that all 4 of us had kits that could have taken care of the situation. Ounce we were home and we did a little look back with my wife (High level CCU ICU nurse) I decided to add more to the truck kit and my pack kit.

Along with that I had my wife refresh my memory on basics in evaluating head injuries as well as wound care. (let me know if anyone is interested in doing an informal class on basics of eval, when trump says its ok we can put a day together out of hunting season if more than 2 people want in)

So what are some basic items you guys carry in your pack and truck?

Tweezers/multi tool

suture kit

Antibiotic Ointment

Antiseptic Towelettes

Wound Closure Strips

Moleskin

duct tape wrapped on trecking pole

Bandaids

Bandanna (always have one)

tylenol

Antihistamine

(emergency electrolytes, energy)

cortazone cream

night time cold med

vet wrap

This is all in my pack kit, I plan to order a prebuilt kit online for this year to keep in the truck. I also started carrying IV kits at base camp as well for myself and the animals. My mules have their own kit that has some asprin, bute (last resort) wound clot powder, nasil hose, blue cote spray, suture kit and 9mm pistol for really bad cases.

The main thing I was lacking was head injury assessment. I was pretty sure but not 100 percent. turns out I was correct in my checks but I didn't know that until I called home when we had signal. The other thing was I now have the garmin MINI that I should have had a long time ago, I just hope it doesn't fail if I need it.

I carry a lot of the same in my truck but in my hunting pack I pretty much only carry tweezers, a few bandaids, quick clot and a tourniquet. 

Add Benedryl to your kits. Get the tablets or run the risk of liquid form evaporating before you need it.

Was hiking with a buddy, he's a paramedic. My dog bit his kid. The medics first aid kit was pathetic, he needed a butterfly to keep the cut closed but was out. Duct tape didn't work since the kid couldn't keep the wound dry. The bite ended up cutting our trip short and ruining our trip.

• Like 1

I look at it as fast and light. Get them off the hill and into a truck or camp to a larger med kit. Anything that can't be treated there, off to urgent care or the hospital.  On my trekking poles, I keep a little wrap of gorilla tape as well as a small 25 to 50 ft of cordage.  I keep a very light kit in my pack.

Israeli bandage / Compression Bandage
Chest seal for a sucking chest wound, if you got shot, stuck yourself with a Tpost etc....
Small roll of med tape/vet wrap
Couple band aids
Couple alcohol wipes

I carry a larger kit in the truck or camp, and you can find them at many places mymedic, skinny medic, and adventure medical kits.  I supplement with extra trauma items for stopping bleeding.

ya the Benadryl is in my horse trailer and horse kit. I usually drink that when I run out of whiskey.

I need to look at those Israeli bandages, I see a lot of guys carry those. I think the mymedic is what my wife wants for the truck kit

I have all of the same things in my truck and pack except I also have Benadryl, Tylenol, ibuprofen and tourniquets

3 hours ago, Edge said:

Add Benedryl to your kits. Get the tablets or run the risk of liquid form evaporating before you need it.

Was hiking with a buddy, he's a paramedic. My dog bit his kid. The medics first aid kit was pathetic, he needed a butterfly to keep the cut closed but was out. Duct tape didn't work since the kid couldn't keep the wound dry. The bite ended up cutting our trip short and ruining our trip.

Did you shoot the dog? Some dog are like family, some are just tools. I wouldn't hesitate to dispatch another one if it acted up. I like those Israel Bandages. I also keep a needle and thread.

• Like 1

In addition to all of the above I also carry a suture kit with different suture material, pneumo darts for possible collapsed lung, stethoscope to assess for said collapsed lung, some type of quick clot for arterial bleeds, different sizes of gauze, gloves and IV supplies.  A lot of it I keep at the truck or buggy but use the emergent stuff in the field.  Having been an AF medic for 21 years, deployed 5 times and now an ER nurse I feel that I can take care of just about anything that pops up in the field with that set up..

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, IAMMAC said:

In addition to all of the above I also carry a suture kit with different suture material, pneumo darts for possible collapsed lung, stethoscope to assess for said collapsed lung, some type of quick clot for arterial bleeds, different sizes of gauze, gloves and IV supplies.  A lot of it I keep at the truck or buggy but use the emergent stuff in the field.  Having been an AF medic for 21 years, deployed 5 times and now an ER nurse I feel that I can take care of just about anything that pops up in the field with that set up..

dang 

The amount you carry all depends on where you are at, if you can't get cell, sat or a beacon type to get help, then you need to carry a little more.  But there is a point of no return too.

Only do what you are trained for.