Sign in to follow this  
trphyhntr

White Mountain Creek Fishing

i walked up the trail at sheeps crossing. i didnt fish but i was looking in the good trout hiding spots and i didnt see any. are there trout in there? 

We walked up the stream from the end of the road in Greer. 12-13"ers right near the parking spot being caught like nobody's business.

Another 1/4 mile up, and not another fish seen. Thought that was strange.

30 minutes ago, firstcoueswas80 said:

Another 1/4 mile up, and not another fish seen.

hatchery guys pack buckets of fish several hundred yard up or downstream from creekside parking lots.  they are sort of time limited on how far they can go.  these guys love their jobs!

7 hours ago, firstcoueswas80 said:

We walked up the stream from the end of the road in Greer. 12-13"ers right near the parking spot being caught like nobody's business.

Another 1/4 mile up, and not another fish seen. Thought that was strange.

That’s pretty much what I was thinking, that they mainly just put enough in to be taken from the main access areas. 

5 minutes ago, Roosevelt Mark said:

Put and take....had to be 50 people fishing it on Saturday when I drove by. And that was in the rain.

Yeah there was lots of people at the bridge sunday but nobody from 100 yards above the bridge.

I’m likely never gonna fish anywhere up there at all I was just wondering if there’s any fish it’s a nice looking creek. 

49 minutes ago, Roosevelt Mark said:

30 years ago it was a blast.

25 years ago i fished all those creeks a lot with my dad and it was fun. fly fished for about 2 years. 

• Like 1

I went to west fork black river Sunday morning, off the road to reservation lake and walked south. I caught a couple browns then the weather got bad. 

• Like 3

Everyone is mentioning spots my dad and I have fished since the sixties. With all this social media mentioning the white mountains in particular spots not normally talked about there’s more pressure. When they re paved 273 they screwed up the big beaver dam at sheep’s crossing. Then poisoned it to reintroduce Apache trout. Which I found out this year the just started restocking since 2015. Due to disease in the brood stock. I had more people in places I go then I have in the last fifteen years. That’s including places that are a tow to three mile hike. Best thing is to go up during the middle of the week and hike in. But due to COVID-19 that didn’t even work this year. It was a zoo middle of April and still is up there. As a result I’ve moved my operations elsewhere.