maximus

Question about mule deer

34 minutes ago, creed said:

The buck looking straight into the camera did the same thing. There were a couple of other bucks using the same two catchments that followed the same pattern. I was told by a G&F guy that the optimum spacing between desert waters was 3 miles.  These drinkers were almost exactly 3 miles apart.

117649978_584914642175898_6455476752709109548_n.jpg

Ah I see, sounds about right 

• Like 1

Until recently, I haven't been around in a long time. Dug up this old post. Interesting read. 

If you want to know about Sonoran Desert muleys, you won't find too many people that know more than Creed. I say "Sonoran" desert muleys because from my experience, they're pretty different than other mule deer. Even "desert" mule deer that live in different types of desert. 

I started hunting the desert around 20 years ago. Creed taught me A LOT. We hunted together quite a bit. Good times.

As you can probably guess from my handle, I spend a fair bit of time in the desert. Reading through the different comments, I realized, none of them are wrong. Desert bucks are different than other mule deer bucks but in many cases, they're different from each other as well. I've seen big bucks that roam far and wide, never hitting the same water more than a couple times a month. I've also see bucks that live in relativity small areas only using one water source. I've seen bucks that will rut in the same general area they spend the rest of their lives in but as Creed mentioned, there are bucks that will move many many miles to rut. 

Summer seems to be when they're most habitual. I would attribute that to heat and the need for water. Once it cools off they seem to get really random. I've seen bucks hit a drinker one day, then 3 days later show up at another drinker 5 miles away. Then disappear for 2 weeks only to show up at a third water 3 miles from the first one. The one thing that will make any desert muley habitual is man made food source. Theres so much that goes into hunting desert muleys, it's impossible to cover it all in one sitting. 

Anyway, if you are looking for a challenge and you want to sharpen your hunting skills, go hunt desert muleys. They take all the skill that's required to be a good hunter multiplied by 10. Couple that with a few years hunting coues bucks and you'll be able to hunt anything, anywhere. 

• Like 1

First buck is a Jan archery buck from 2019. The hunter was from Utah. One heck of a hunter. 60 yard shot. 

Second is a general season buck from 2019. Hunter was from Washington The hunter built his own pistol just for that hunt... if you want to call it that. I would call it a carbine without a buttstock... lol. It's a 6.5 SAUM. Killed that buck at 160 yards. 

Third and forth are from last Nov. 2 hunters from California. They are desert bucks but not from the Sonoran Desert. I watched both bucks for months. Killed them on day one and day two respectively. Third was killed at 80 yards, forth was killed at 88 yards.

All the hunts were on public land and were spot and stalk. The first and forth buck were 8 hour stalks. 

*no trailcams were used in the taking of these deer... 😂😂😂

IMG_20200817_045704_769.jpg

IMG_20200727_092929_617.jpg

IMG_20201116_160146_250.jpg

IMG_20201116_160146_254.jpg

• Like 2
  • Wow! 1

48 minutes ago, creed said:

You need to be more careful of your pics. I recognized that clump of grass.

Nice bucks!

You've probably pissed on that clump of grass 4 times. 

10 hours ago, Desertguide said:

If you want to know about Sonoran Desert muleys, you won't find too many people that know more than Creed. 

True statement!!

Bruce is definitely a Legend when it comes to Sonoran Desert Mule deer 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, longshooter said:

True statement!!

Bruce is definitely a Legend when it comes to Sonoran Desert Mule deer 

I can't begin to tell you how much I've learned from him over the years. I owe a lot to him. 

• Like 1

Dang creed is on my radar now. Oh hey buddy!

Lol were chasing Muleys this year. 1st time ever putting in for rifle muley. 

Great info. Thx

5 minutes ago, Desertguide said:

I can't begin to tell you how much I've learned from him over the years. I owe a lot to him. 

you guys are too kind. You both are better hunters than I.

The student has now become the teacher

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, creed said:

you guys are too kind. You both are better hunters than I.

The student has now become the teacher

Yeeeaaaah... always keeping the low profile... lol. 

I have 2 waterholes in my unit that are a little over 5 miles apart and will get the same bucks on camera from both waterholes from time to time...I know a lot of "farm land" hunters in Yuma that think you can pattern desert mule deer. I think they are just used to hunting the farm where deer come and go like clock work morning/night. I have not hunted much outside of the desert but the deer we hunt are pretty nomadic in their habits. We usually have the general vicinity the deer are but we get a lot of snowbird pressure on rangers/razr's and it pushes the deer around quite a bit. Seems like the snowbird traffic is growing more and more each year. They also like to create their own trails and roads in places I like to hunt which really sucks. 

• Like 1

Just now, Yuma Outdoorsman said:

I know a lot of "farm land" hunters in Yuma that think you can pattern desert mule deer.

I would like to know their secret.

57 minutes ago, Yuma Outdoorsman said:

I have 2 waterholes in my unit that are a little over 5 miles apart and will get the same bucks on camera from both waterholes from time to time...I know a lot of "farm land" hunters in Yuma that think you can pattern desert mule deer. I think they are just used to hunting the farm where deer come and go like clock work morning/night. I have not hunted much outside of the desert but the deer we hunt are pretty nomadic in their habits. We usually have the general vicinity the deer are but we get a lot of snowbird pressure on rangers/razr's and it pushes the deer around quite a bit. Seems like the snowbird traffic is growing more and more each year. They also like to create their own trails and roads in places I like to hunt which really sucks. 

The RZR caravans are HORRIBLE. They have absolutely ruined one of my favorite spots. They drive big circuits through the flats. They've all but run the deer completely out ot there. I have another area that has turned in a mini Quartzsite. There are campers there from late November until at least past the Jan hunt. Makes me sick. 

Farm deer are for for junior hunters and old guys like my dad that can barely walk anymore. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, AZBIG10 said:

Rzr>trailcam ban

I can get behind this^

Me too!!! Shoot... I'd gladly sacrifice cameras for them to do something about RZR's and long term camping in the desert.