Jump to content
lamrith

34A Early Rifle hunt expectations / tips

Recommended Posts

Family drew 34A early hunt this year (Oct 23-29).  Usually we get the middle hunt that is a few weeks later in the season.

I am out of state so cannot get to the hunt area to do any sort of scouting before opening day.  Any changes in how the deer behave/move in this earlier hunt versus the mid/late Nov ones we are used to? 

 

Are the deer more driven to water sources, do they stick to deeper/darker draws with the higher heat?  Are bucks split more away from does or in bachelor groups so if I see a hillside covered with does should I start looking elsewhere?  Any tips or recommendations would be much appreciated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Full moon and hot. Going to be a tough hunt this year. Ive hunted October the past few years, went with a later hunt this year because of the aforementioned combination. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve got the same hunt this year.  I didn’t even check the lunar calendar.  It’s been super dry so far.  
Shade (deep cuts) and trails to water will be my focus.  Other than the hard rut, I find bucks together. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, TexasHunter said:

Expect lots of company too. 

Yeah I think 600tags?  The middle hunt we normally do is about the same 600 or 675tags so just gotta work find a spot and settle in and hope nobody else tromps thru the hillside you are watching sometimes.

 

20 hours ago, firstcoueswas80 said:

Full moon and hot. Going to be a tough hunt this year. Ive hunted October the past few years, went with a later hunt this year because of the aforementioned combination. 

We did not even look at that factor.  Oh well, part of hunting, gotta figure out a way to beat mother nature.  Least it is a rifle hunt and not archery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Temps won't be much warmer than what you usually experienced two weeks later but the deer will be less pressured.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Consider getting there early and pin down a buck for opening morning

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glass North faces in the shade when it is hot. If you are still hunting the last few days when the moon is full don’t slip on deer midday stretch and feeding activities and expect limited morning windows with deer on their feet. As others have said, in October bucks are batched up in groups and less pressured than the 2nd/3rd hunts, usually. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/7/2020 at 4:45 PM, CatfishKev said:

Consider getting there early and pin down a buck for opening morning

I am a bit limited as I am out of state, but right now we should be there late morning/noon the day before, so dropping trailer should not take long then probably out for evening glassing and see if we can put one to bed for the morning.

 

On 8/8/2020 at 3:48 PM, Siwash said:

Glass North faces in the shade when it is hot. If you are still hunting the last few days when the moon is full don’t slip on deer midday stretch and feeding activities and expect limited morning windows with deer on their feet. As others have said, in October bucks are batched up in groups and less pressured than the 2nd/3rd hunts, usually. 

Thanks, good tip on midday.  The family I hunt with have not to my knowledge worried about north facing slopes, could be why they strike out more often.  I have a few spots looking at caltopo that look good for glassing north slopes right in the areas they usually hunt, so I will try that for sure!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×