Sign in to follow this  
AZHunter1

A sad dry summer

Just heard that a desert ram that was collared out in unit 37A has died of dehydration. According to G&F they have had 5 fatalities this year due to dehydration. I guess its time to start hauling water out there again.

9 minutes ago, AZHunter1 said:

Just heard that a desert ram that was collared out in unit 37A has died of dehydration. According to G&F they have had 5 fatalities this year due to dehydration. I guess its time to start hauling water out there again.

When are you going? You need help?

They dont want you to help they want money.my self and a handful of friends have offered and the response you'll get is to please donate $

2 hours ago, 1denogean said:

They dont want you to help they want money.my self and a handful of friends have offered and the response you'll get is to please donate $

Just curious what stops you from loading some water in a truck and filling a drinker if that's what you want to do?

• Like 1

I did it for several year in early 2000s get in contact with the unit manager and work it out with them. They will want to know where you get your water from to make sure its clean without contaminates. I need to find a couple water tanks and get keys to some gates again. 

13 hours ago, 654321 said:

Just curious what stops you from loading some water in a truck and filling a drinker if that's what you want to do?

I've done it with a 55 gallon drum before. But that's all and 55 gallons goes fast. If you send out an email for help and have water trailers parked in a yard and deny the help I'm sorry but I'd rather help that way then give my money

• Like 2

My old phone had a PDF file I had found of a drinker study done decades ago by AZGFD in the Eagletail Mountains.

Animals become so dependent on a specific drinker (deer and sheep in particular) that the critters will literally wait there and die at an empty water hole rather than move to one only a short distance away that holds water.

So if you do make a drinker in the desert, please check it often for water.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, 1denogean said:

I've done it with a 55 gallon drum before. But that's all and 55 gallons goes fast. If you send out an email for help and have water trailers parked in a yard and deny the help I'm sorry but I'd rather help that way then give my money

I hauled water for livestock in southern UT for about 10 years. I had a 220 and 500 gallon tank for my truck. But the most ingenious thing I ever saw was some friends homesteaded nearby and used a waterbed mattress to haul their water. No cumbersome tank to deal with and they'd just roll the mattress up when not in use.

• Like 2
  • Wow! 1

I've helped the Sheep Society the last couple yrs on water projects in 37A. That sucks to hear sheep dying of dehydration.

We did a vault style drinker in early 2019 that was supposed to hold 20K gallons I believe if I remember correctly.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bonecollector said:

I've helped the Sheep Society the last couple yrs on water projects in 37A. That sucks to hear sheep dying of dehydration.

We did a vault style drinker in early 2019 that was supposed to hold 20K gallons I believe if I remember correctly.

Was that south of Arizona city? I went down and helped out on that one. I was out of town when they did the one over at Newman mountain.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 1denogean said:

I don't have any water trailers I have 2 55 gallon drums but that's not much.  

On 9/4/2020 at 5:59 PM, AZHunter1 said:

Was that south of Arizona city? I went down and helped out on that one. I was out of town when they did the one over at Newman mountain.

Yes in the Silverbells

• Like 1

I was there

• Like 3