Sign in to follow this  
SO I HUNT

Cover for Suppressors?

There are some very nice and very expensive ones out there, but what is your purpose?

I have had one of the amazon cheapies(called an airsoft cover) on mine for almost 2 years with ZERO issues. I use mine for hunting only though so it never really gets "hot".  Even sighting in once a year with 4 or 5 shots in a couple minutes it does just fine.

I doubt it would hold up to a mag dump though. Maybe one.

1 hour ago, AzDiamondHeat said:

There are some very nice and very expensive ones out there, but what is your purpose?

I have had one of the amazon cheapies(called an airsoft cover) on mine for almost 2 years with ZERO issues. I use mine for hunting only though so it never really gets "hot".  Even sighting in once a year with 4 or 5 shots in a couple minutes it does just fine.

I doubt it would hold up to a mag dump though. Maybe one.

Hunting. 300 ULTRA MAG. Just picked it up today. Thanks for the reply. 

Covers do server several purposes.   Heat related. 1, For handling.   They can burn you or melt your case.  2, Shielding heat that makes heat wave distortion. 

3.  They look cool.

I use them on my Ar15/M16 and Sten but not on my hunting rifles.  Extra weight. 

• Like 1

#1 reason... They are super Tacti-cool.

They also do a good job of minimizing the heat signature off of them.  Its pretty amazing how fast they heat up.  A few shots and they are untouchable without a cover or glove.

I can’t stand the look of them personally.  I have been running a suppressor on my .28 nosler this year and loving it.  Shoots better, picked up an extra 70 FPS and I can shoot it without hearing protection.   Killed a couple elk so far with it and don’t know if I’ll be able to go back to unsuppressed.  The only thing I’ve noticed is after 2-3 shots I get bad heat waves in my scope without a cover.  I still don’t think I’d use one for hunting though.  

"Tacticool" poses for your enjoyment...

20200815_100122.thumb.jpg.ad6170cfff98b72470127e800f3676b7.jpg

20200815_135926.thumb.jpg.7bd1378ae7f6eee7810a524a27b718d1.jpg

20200816_210826.thumb.jpg.b00b941c8d4b9d830382db04e4963207.jpg

They mitigate mirage, make handling one after 3-4 shots possible, they protect the suppressor.

I was shooting a suppressed .300WM without a cover today.  After 2 shots, mirage was noticeable, after the third, mirage was definitely causing the target image to waver a lot. 

I have shot other times, 5-6 shots with a cover before mirage started to effect sight picture.

• Like 1