Calebwalter

Frustrated newbie seeking advice

I’ve been browsing this forum for some time now, but have been hesitant to post because of reactions towards new guys asking for help. Figured it’s time to ask though. I’ll apologize in advance for the long post. 

Until last October I had never hunted in my life. A nice gentleman at Sportsmans Warehouse convinced me to go squirrel hunting in 6A, and I was bit by the hunting bug. I attempted to go do some predator hunting in 24A in the spring without any luck. I applied for the draw in unit 24A for white tail because it’s really the only area I’ve been in. I was drawn for the 11-6/11-12 hunt and I’ve been out “scouting” 5-6 times. I’d like to mention I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT IM DOING! Obviously the northern part of 24A is still closed so I haven’t scouted that area, but I’ve scouted/glasses the Dripping Springs Mts, I’ve scouted Pinto Creek Road, I’ve scouted north of Timber Camp, and I’ve scoured the area between US60N and the reservation that’s still open. My hunt is in 20 days and I’m getting discouraged. 

I HAVE NOT SEEN A SINGLE DEER. 

What I am hoping for is that some experienced guys can give me some advice. Pretend as if I already have the gear (12x50’s, tripod, can shoot comfortably to 500y), but I have no idea where to start. 

I’ll try to post more detailed questions in the comments. Thank you for any advice given. 

• Like 1

Find water this year, hunt with in a mile , glass the oaks with acorn's .

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, wildwoody said:

I have not seen acorn crop to speak of in 15 years. Have you seen acorn crop to speak of any time recently?

• Like 1

I have the same hunt as you. I have done this same hunt for the past several years. We usually have a good size camp with anywhere from 4-10 tags.

I will say this though, the southern half of that hunt can be TOUGH. We do the hunt because it is centrally located and we like to spend time together as friends/family.  If the North part is closed, the south is going to be CROWDED.

I have never seen LOTS of bucks at any one sitting. There are deer. There are bucks, but it is not your "ideal " coues" area. The terrain is steep and dense and the deer are very hard to find. I honestly doubt you are doing anything "wrong" other than being too fast. You are going to have to sit and glass until your eyes rot out of your head. You will see does and more does. Then you will move to a new spot and see more does.

and maybe a spike. Then magically a buck will appear out of nowhere. Maybe.

Lots of roads. Lots of people glassing from roads. If you want to see bucks, get off the roads and hike over one ridge. You will run into NOBODY and you will see deer. 24a is full of lazy hunters.

You cam park next to me. I will be sitting on the road glassing and will watch your ride for you. It will be safe. I promise....

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, wildwoody said:

Ya was chewing on one the other day. Where you looking? YAFF....

36B for a number of years then 35B for last 30 years. Up until early mid 90's always a heavy abundant acorn crop and bucks had layer of fat on their rumps. Since mid 90's nada, hardly any acorns and bucks carried little or no fat and deer a lot fewer. 

17 minutes ago, AZAV8ER said:

I have not seen acorn crop to speak of in 15 years. Have you seen acorn crop to speak of any time recently?

Last year it was a good crop in the scrub oak. 

I gotcha , I'm talking 22/23 some difference, but used to get into alot on north side of Frugata Peak and Yellow Jacket in 36b 

1 hour ago, biglakejake said:

you need good glass 10x or more and a way to firm it to a tripod.  shocking success and knowledge will follow.

luck,

lee

I have 12x50’s and a tripod. I just think I am using them incorrectly 

1 hour ago, wildwoody said:

This morning I hiked to a water hole that was about 1.5 miles from a road. Sat it until about 12:30. Saw some quail and 1 javelina come to water.